This is a question for any religious mommies

My younger sister who will be 18 in a few weeks really wants to get her belly button pierced and my mom said no way. My mom is a Christian and really follows most things in the bible. She told my sister that our bodies are a temple and that we are not suppose to destroy it by getting piercings and tattoos. She also told her we are not suppose to conform to the worlds ways. My younger sister said that doing these things doesnt automatically mean she will go to hell. That is how I feel seeing that I do have piercings and tattoos. What do some of you mommies think? Are we really not suppose to get piercings and tattoos?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think she is 18 and if she wants to do it she will. She just should really think about it first before doing so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think religion and spirituality are very personal. Faith is the personal belief that a person has. If your sister respects her body as a temple but still feels that it is alright to have piercings and tattoos than I think that she should. She is the one that has to answer to God for her transgressions, not your mother.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Your mom doesn't have her ears pierced? Hair colored? Does your mom always eat right and exercise? Its her body, her temple, she can decorate however she likes.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• well i wish now i hadn't gotten a tattoo. at least a belly peircing can grow up. but it is in the bible that you shouldn't
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It's a Jewish thing to not have tattoos - it comes from Leviticus (“You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord”).

If your sister's looking for biblical ammo to fight your mom with, she can point out that your mom (presumably) eats pork, eats cheeseburgers, eats shellfish, flips a lightswitch on a Friday night, etc and that the rules laid out in Leviticus applies only to the "children of Israel" and that most Christians feel that those rules don't apply to them.

I hope that helps your sister out.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was raised how your mom feels. Body is a temple and shouldnt be defiled with tattoos and piercings(besides once in the ear was ok).

Nowadays I think thats silly. Its artwork, some dont see it that way but many do. I realize some tattoos can be tacky but its still their body and their way of expressing themselves.

I say, if they are 18 and know they want it then so be it. Their choice, they dont like it then they will have to live with it til they either die or get it removed.

Same with piercings.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm a very conservative Christian who follows the bible... and I have two tattoos, multiple piercings in my ears and a nose ring - the tats and nose ring I got as a Christian. No, it is not sending me to hell. The reference in leviticus for marking your body was referring to cutting it for the dead. Is your sister cutting her body to the dead.. probably not. Also, as someone already posted, in that same passage of scripture it says not to eat pork, shell fish (shrimp, lobster, crab, bottom feeders), and not to wear certain blended cloths. Also, she's 18.. if she's a Christian she should pray about it but she is 18 and it's her decision and no it does not mean you go to hell.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• That is interpreting the Bible to conform to your own personal worldview. No, she will not go to Hell for getting her bellybutton pierced. It is amazing how many people think the threat of Hell is an acceptable form of control.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was always told the same thing by my mother... I told her if my body is a temple why can't I repaint it? All the Big Famous Temples and Churches are painted with huge ellaborate paintings... I'm simply decorating...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No, piercings and tattoos do not mean you're getting a ticket to hell.

You have to look at the history of what was going on back then.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009