i need lots of help

my daughter just turned one, and i'm not quite sure what to do from here. She doesnt really talk , she only says a couple of things and i know i have to teach her words but im not sure what else i should teach her at this point? i also dont know things like when i should potty train or how to take her off the bottle? I need help!

killerbunny2008

Asked by killerbunny2008 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take her off the bottlwe when she is ready to take a sippy cup, around 2 is the ideal time for potty training and i have always shown my baby lots of books. I point out the words as aia read, i point out the animals and make their sounds, my daughter knew how to make most of her animl sounds by 1 and if I asked her where something was in the book she could point it out. I don't think you can start too young on books and learning, she will catch along, she knows more than you think
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• and you don't have to get pricey books. i get cute cheap books at Dollar General, Family Dollar, or Fred's
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If she can drink from a sippy cup, you can ditch the bottles. She doesn't need them.

Potty training...it will be easier when she can communicate her needs, so it's a little early for that...but you can start taking her in every so often and training if you wish. There is no set time when it's best to do that.

You don't have to "teach" her words. She's learning language skills by you speaking to her, reading to her, playing with her, labeling things for her, etc. They learn through play...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i was scared about my son at one. i was thinking how come two year olds have fu;; vocabu;ary and my son cant talk yet. well dont worry it will happen soon. my son is 18 months old and in the past to months he has picked up at least 30-40 words and he has even said stuff like what doing? where's dada? and much more. believe or not when people tell you they grow overnight its really true!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• For the bottle, you have two choices... get rid of them NOW or wait until she is willing to give them up (possibly around 3).
    For potty training, I suggest the book "The No Cry Potty Training Solution". There is a great list of questions to help you figure out if your child is ready for this big step.
    For the talking, just talk to her. She sounds like she's doing fine for her age. Doctor's look for 10 to 20 words at the 18 month check-up.
    For what else to teach her, just play with her and explain everything you do....
    Mommy is cutting up some chicken. We are going to have chicken for dinner tonight. Now mommy is adding some spices. Spices make chicken taste even better.
    This gives her more words to listen to and introduces lots of concepts.
    You can extend it into her play...
    Roll mommy the blue ball. Wow! What a pretty color of blue. Isn't the ball smooth?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I feel your pain! Iam a single mom of a 16 mo. old. I used to think he was "delayed." He walked at 11 mo-but the talking is slowly coming along. I have just been repeating out loud everything that I do. If Iam getting a drink-I always say out loud whatever Iam doing. He has learned a lot of new words this way. It has worked for me! As far as the bottle-I was told to get him off by age 1. So I did. I started out with formula in his sippy cup. Then did that for a week-then changed it to milk. He was so happy to be "big" and get praise from mommmy, he didn't even miss the bottle. I had him off of it by 2 weeks before his first bd. Potty training?!! Iam trying that myself! I still think my child is a bit young. I will really try hard around age 2.
    mom2one2007

Answer by mom2one2007 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with a lot of what other people have said. One thing I have learned that I think has helped my son communicate and learn words is sign language. I have taught him the basic signs that make it wasy for us to communicate. He learned the first sign at 9 months and that one was kind of difficult. Now I can teach him a new sign in less than a day by just using it over and over. The first sign I taught him was all done. Now he knows, all done, juice, more, eat, please, thank you and a few others. Now that he is 18 months he does the sign and says the word. It is really a lifesaver. you should try it. i think it alleviates some of the frustration.
    Shannon0622

Answer by Shannon0622 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009