This thought is for both prolife & prochoice

I will not hold judgment but I truly can't understand why people think intact d&x (partial birth abortion) is acceptable. I'm dumbfounded over this because I don't believe we're talking about a woman's right here but about a viable lil human. I am now strongly pro life but as a woman who was once STRONGLY pro choice & had 1 abortion, I am not try to judge women. Do what you will w/this, but my stance is that women need recovery. I'm sorry if you don't agree w/me on this but I believe that many woman successfully repress their feelings through education,career, alcohol,family, hobbies,etc. I know I did & it took me 10 yrs to regret it. Many women I know regret it until 10- 30yrs later. I'm wondering what you all think. I realize this is not a group, but because of the sensitivity of this subject, please don't bash women who disagree or agree w/me. Just curious about your thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I never understood late term abortion or partial birth abortions. The baby is delivered why not give it a chance instead of murdering it. If the mom was hit by a drunk driver on the way to the clinic to abort the baby and died and the baby died the driver would be charged with two murders.  We cannot have babies be babies when convenient.  They are either a life or not.  I believe from conception they are a life and I feel bad for those who murder the unborn someday they have to stand before God and I doubt he will be all that forgiving. 

Anonymous

• Whats a partial birth abortion?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Farrahann -- a partial birth abortion is when the baby is all born except for the head and the doctor kills the baby before finishing the delivery.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:28 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am pro choice as long as it is done before or shortly after the 2nd trimester. I don't believe an abortion should be performed after 16 weeks. I am strongly against partial birth abortion and I know this is contradicting, but its just what I believe. I don't understand why you would go through with the pregnancy and not even consider giving it up for adoption-it just doesn't make sense to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Thats legal? I literally gasped when I read that.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• That was my reaction too Farrahann! I've never heard of anything like that. That's horrible. I'm sorry, but who would do that and what kind of doctor would perform that procedure?
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:33 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i believe abortion is wrong throughout entire pregnancy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes. Here in NYS it's legal up until 24 weeks but since babies grow at different rates after 24 weeks and moms can lie about when they got pregnant it can happen after 24 weeks as well. The 24 week limit also doesn't apply if they even suspect their might be a medical issue. I had a maternal-fetal specialist (high risk ob) who runs the residency program for ob/gyn in a major Manhattan hospital suggest termination twice in one conversation when I was 22-3 weeks pregnant and when I asked my ob if that was because she was concerned about the 24 week limit he told me that if they suspect a medical issue (even if it turns out that it wasn't an issue at all) they can abort after 24 weeks. Threshold of viability is somewhere between 22-25 weeks so yes there are viable babies being legally aborted and some who survive the abortion who are then left to die or killed after they are born.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• There is no such thing as a "partial birth abortion" this is a term made up by the right to lifers to manipulate peoples emotions, it works. The procedure it is referring to is a D&X and accounted for less than 1% of all abortions when it was still legal. This is not something that was generally done on a whim or by someone who just changed their mind. It was mostly used in situations where the baby was VERY wanted but the mother found out later in the pregnancy that either her life or fertility would be threatened or the baby would not survive outside of the womb.

I don't believe something as serious and personal as abortion should be determined by a bunch of suits in DC but should be left between a woman and her doctor.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The medical issue that was the reason for her suggesting abortion turned out to be a non-issue when I had my follow up level two sonogram and I'm currently 38 weeks pregnant with that baby. In fact the risk of anything being wrong with this baby was not nearly high enough for an amnio but for that ob it was high enough to suggest that I abort.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2009