CHILD SICK ALL THE TIME

Ok so my little one it seems as if everytime we trn around he is gettin a cold that turns into a sinus infection and we are on a seven da antibiotic treatment that works and then in about two weeks after finishing the antibiotic he gets another cold that turns into a sinusinfection and we deverything that we are told to do the humdifer vicks tylonel if there is a fever sucking out the nose bynedryl if needed elevation etc etc i am just tired of this never ending cycle i am tired of seeing my beautiful baby boy sick Other than this iguess he has been reay healthy he has only had a touch of jaundice at birth influnza broncial infection has there benn anyone else whohas been throught this and what did you end up having to do if there is anything that can be done I may just be being parionid but i am tried of my little one suffering by the way he is on a daily vitiman for infants any advice would greatly be appreciated

garricksmommy

Asked by garricksmommy at 11:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My middle girl was constantly sick when she was little. I finally stopped giving her the antibiotics and only gave tylenol when she was in alot of discomfort. When she felt sick she rested a whole lot more and got better faster. Plus when they are constantly on the antibiotics their bodies begin to depend on them to get better, by stopping them her immune system built up and she was able to fight better. She is now five and I can't remember the last time she was sick.

This may not be the best approach for everyone. Something else may be going on, but after the doc ran a billion tests and decided it was not anything else I decided that I had to do something different. I am not against antibiotics, I just don't do it until I feel it is absolutely necessary.

Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Cont'd

I also have a 4 year old little boy, and he has never been on antibiotics. He is very very rarely sick. He had an earache last weekend, and I was out of town so I couldn't take him to the doctor. I came home the next day, and he was fine. No pain, nothing. That was the first earache/infection he has ever had!!
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I had that problem. Both my boys were always sick. Look into a naturopath for treatment. Otherwise you are going to end up making the bacteria into superbugs and they will be even harder to treat.
    Also, look around. Could it be possible that you have mold in your home? Allergies??
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I've heard that allergies can cause lots of sickness like this. The allergies somehow clog the tubes in the head and ear/sinus infections are more common since the fuild can't drain as well after a cold. Maybe ask if allergy testing might be helpful.
    Anonymous

• Toddlers and colds seem to go hand in hand. I'm sure you do this already but:
    increase handwashing-not just yours but his too. Help him to the sink and have him wash his hands before all meals and snacks. Use regular soap and water (not the anti-bacterial stuff).
    Try cleaning his toys more frequently. I bet some that are all plastic can even just be thrown right in the dishwasher next time you run it.
    Keep him well hydrated, especially when he has a cold and don't forget good old chicken soup!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My two year old was the same way and still gets sick sometimes. But, I took her to an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist. The problem was that her constant sinus infections kept giving her an ear infection. We ended up having to put tubes in her ears. I dreaded doing it, but it allows all of the mucus to drain now. She hasn't had an ear or sinus infection since October of last year when she got the tubes. Maybe try taking your son to someone that specializes in sinus problems. I don't know how your financial situation is, but my children are on a medical card. Often times specialists don't accept them, but if you talk to your pediatrician, they can refer you to one that does. Best of Luck!
    torilee_03

Answer by torilee_03 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My 15 mo old had the same sinus issues. We had been to the doctor every two to three weeks most of her life with the same symptoms - Bad ears and Sinus issues. One day an elder co-worker mentioned that years ago his son had the same problems and it turned out to be a mild milk allergy.

With her doctor's (skeptical) support we removed dairy from her diet and replaced it with soy products. It has now been 4 months and we have not been sick once! In fact, for the first time ever her doctor said we were perfectly health at our check-up! Allergies - Who Knew!
    embronte

Answer by embronte at 4:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009