Living on a tight budget... Tips please!

Okay... DH is not working FT right now and we just got a new place. I am pretty frugal and he just abides by whatever I say, LOL, but we're still squeezing things so tight that I'm worried about making it by. I bargain shop, have no internet (I'm at work right now), no cable, don't eat out unless someone else pays, etc. What are your tips?!?!

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Homemade laundry soap, just made my own. Followed a recipe from the internet.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am on unemployment right now. I have 3 boys 1 with severe food and environmental allergies so just feeding him is expensive lol I shop for clothes etc at local thrift cellars most cotholic churches etc have them. I plan our meals ahead and shop at scratch and dent stores where the can may be dented or the box of cereal undamaged and unopened is slightly outdated. Just cutting these corners saves a ton on cash I also replaced all my main light bulbs to those energy saver ones and put all main electrical items like tv etc on power strips and when not in use the strips are off. this cuts electricity by 10-25 percent.
    orbitlynn

Answer by orbitlynn at 11:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I will try to help with a couple that I am going to put into effect. No lights on in the house while we are watching TV. If you don't watch TV, you can have one light on in the living room to read by or what not. Use candles. Turn the heat down everytime you leave the house... It does not need to run while no one is home. Turn it down again at night while you sleep and just use more blankets. No eating out period! Buy cheap stuff, shop at Aldi's or whatever you have in your town. Buy hamburger, hot dogs, eggs etc.. stuff that you can make several meals with at a time. And I don't know how old your children are, but buy powdered milk. Use this in recipes where you normally use regular milk. This will save your regular milk! Shop at thrift stores... if that new law goes into effect, go now, the children's stuff will be marked down for going out of business sales!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Cook from scratch saves me tons of money each year. It really doesn't take that much longer to do. I bake bread for the week on Sunday and sometimes bake more on Thursdays. We spend 250 a month and eat only healthy food. No soda, chips, cookies and kids drinks. We have only oranges juice, milk and water in our home to drink. We don't eat out unless we have a great coupon. We at an Italian restaurant recently cost us 12 bucks after the coupon and we had tons of left overs for lunch the next day. It was a nice restaurant too.

I use vinegar and lemon juice for cleaning and make my own laundry soap. Hang clothes up to dry save on electricity by not using dryer. Turn off lights and unplug stuff when not in use.
    Anonymous

• Well, you could try something from home. I work with DiamondCreek Candles; it's free to sign up and you never have to sign any kind of contract. It may bring in a little something at first but you never know what could happen. For a free sign up, it doesn't hurt to take a look. Click on my link below and check it out. You can pm me if you have anyq uestions and I wil help you get started!!

http://www.diamondcreekcandles.com/reps/staci1228.php
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I found something new you might be interested in:   http://www.squidoo.com/getmecredit

pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009