How much income do you live on? How do you make it work?

We live on about $40k/yr and are barely squeezing by. How much do you ladies have coming in? How do you make it work?

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sorry i have to check anonymously, my hubby would die if i told anyone this.. We make about 60-70K together after taxes.. Depends on the over time we get.. An it seems like alot on paper but with, two kids under 5yrs old, morgage, car pmts, dog, medical, taxes and we have to eat... We make like 30k yr together... This is really tough times and we are feeling the pain..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• DH's income is apprx 70k and I stay home. Our house is paid off and we're pretty good with money, so we're comfortable.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 11:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Together we made 18000 give or take before taxes. We pay 830 rent monthly. We do get a whole 150 month food stamps. We get by and our kids don't go without what they need. But we also drive a car that's 16 yrs old so we don't have car payment at this time.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 12:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• we make around 80k+ a yr depending, i stay at home and my hubby is a chiropractor but he rents space from another Dr so he has to pay half of what he makes to him (that includes his 2 workers too). We have a low rent b/c we rent from a fam member and we only have 1 car payment. but my hubby has a 1200 a mo student loan. we give ourselves 600-700 a week for house bills and personal expenses and the rest my hubby leaves in business account to pay his student loan, a business loan, savings and a college fund for our daughter
    Anonymous

• bty:as prev ana poster we actually live on 30-40k a yr
    Anonymous

• We are a family of 5 + 2 dogs. Mortgage, no car payments, a hubby with a jeep addiction,lol
    We live on about 160,000./year,hubby is an owner operator. I'm very fortunate to be able to stay home. I do plan to help out at the elementary school when our youngest starts in the fall.
    Staying home alone everyday doesn't seem like fun to me, I'm going to have to get out of the house.
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 12:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My husband makes 107k a year and live OK we still cannot by a home here in Cali we cannot afford a 3k a month mortgage that would be nearly half of our take home. We thankfully are moving to Iowa so we will live very well on the same pay plus bonus. The home we purchased in Iowa is only 1500 a month and triple the size of our 1345 sqft apartment. We could live on a lot less in Iowa but are glad we don't have to. We are going to try and  have another child and I can finish my degree. Life is good right now.

Anonymous

• We rent for $975, pay about $400 for health insurance, $125 for car insurance, have a bankruptcy payment of $110 (we filed after DHs business partner embezzled $), have no car payments, $540 for childcare (which is CHEEEAP where we are), and then we have normal household bills.

I don't feel like there is ANY MORE room to squeeze! LOL how do you ladies do it? We have no credit cards or anything to fall back on.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am with a girl above. I make about 19,000 a year, no current debt, no car payment cheap apt reant and we make ends meet, litle extras here and there.
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 1:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We are a family of four and live on the 100K+ my hubby brings home. We are blessed to be able to live quite well. We thank God every day for the stable job my Hubby has, he has job security till he decides to retire and gets good sized raises often.
    Anonymous