a question about cats.

i live with my mom and she is really nervous about the baby and her 2 cats. she heard that cats will sometimes sleep on a baby for the warmth and end up suffocating them. then i heard that especailly if you breastfeed to be careful because the cats like the smell of the milk. im sharing a room with the baby so the door will be closed at night time, but has anyone ever heard anything like this?

walkthisway522

Asked by walkthisway522 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it is a concern.
    Babies move quickly and oddly (compared to you and me) so many cats will actually avoid them. But some will sleep with the baby - even on the baby. And that does pose a breathing problem for the baby. Also, those same quick, odd movements can scare the cat who could scratch the baby.
    I'd try a crib tent. That's what I did for my daughter. It ended up that our cats didn't care about her and didn't try to sleep with her but the tent gave us peace of mind until we knew. It's also been VERY helpful since she has never been able to fall out of her crib once she was trying to climb (around 13 months!).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It is an old wives tale. That is not to say that it has never happened, but it is not common.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My can't never messed with our son. They were afraid of him for the most part, but the milk thing was true for me. I can't tell you how many nipples I lost. (I pumped, we had latching problems) My one cat would chew the top right off to get to the milk.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• yes it is true you have to watch cats very closley around newborn babies. just make sure that you know where the cats are at all times if baby is lying down for a nap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• one more thing since i saw these post after i posted. Its not a old wives tale our cat would not leave our son alone when he was born he was always on top of him and would chew through the nipples on bottles and even chewed the cord to my breastpump up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Your not supposed to be near the litter while pregnant. As for the baby, I just think animals and babies should be kept separate.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes, it is true. My sisters woke up one night and their cat was sleeping in the babies crib right by her head. It also depends on the cat. When my son is born my cat will be locked in his room when we are asleep at night, so I don't have it to worry about. I would rather be safe than sorry.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• In response to a question, there is no relationship between SIDS and pets, specifically cats. There actually is a recent published study from New Zealand in the Journal of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Infant Mortality which shows that families with cats actually have a slightly lower incidence of SIDS than those with cats. The article does not recommend cat ownership as a way to reduce SIDS, but does put to rest the idea that cats smother babies.
    http://sids-network.org/experts/cats.htm
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 11:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Holy Cow, i never had to worry about my cat, i had one that slept right beside the baby, but never actually on top, if your that worried get a video monitor, so that you may see what the cat will do, most cats are afraid of babies, but mine loved the twins right from the begining, she never licked or had anything to do with milk, she just wanted to be near my girls, but she never hurt them or anything, i kept an eye out on her constantly because she's part of the family and i didnt want to get her stressed out if we started scolding her, im pregnant again, and im not afraid whats so ever of the cat, there just curious little animals. goodluck, just dont scold the cat alot, she may get mad and revenge.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• thanks for all the answers, my moms cats are a little "off" anyways so im sure they will be scared of him for a very long time! just a nervous, already overprotective, first time mom!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009