how can i get my baby to sleep through the night

Shushma

Asked by Shushma at 11:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• First, how old is the baby? If you are trying to get a young infant to sleep through the night, there isn't really anything you can do. If your baby is closer to a year, there are some things you can try.

Also, what do you mean by "sleep through the night"?
    The official meaning is 5 or more hours in a row.
    Some parents want the 8 hour when they themselves are asleep.
    Then there's the longed for bedtime to morning of toddlers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It would really help to know how old your baby is before anyone can truly offer advice. If it's a tiny baby, then it's probably not possible. My son was sleeping through the night at 3 months old, but he's the exception to the rule. My other two were definitely not sleeping earlier.

If it's an older baby you can try to have a bedtime routine. Bathtime, followed by reading, rocking, singing, etc. and then laid down for the night.
    Anonymous

• If your baby is younger than 4 months:

Swaddle, Cluster-feed in the evening (if you are breastfeeding) And read Happiest Baby on the Block. "Through the night" is considered 6 hours.
    scc4377

Answer by scc4377 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• When I had my twins they were terrible about sleeping through the night. My three year old even worse. But the youngest is 5 mos and he has been sleeping through the night for two mos. He has a bedtime schedule: he strips down to a diaper and lays out on the blanket and just rolls around. All the other kids sing to him and tell him stories. Then he gets his lotion and a massage, his bedtime bottle and everybody gives him a kiss nite. He gets laid in the bed awake and he falls asleep on his own. He is the easiest one out of all of them!
    good luck!
    acmjmom28

Answer by acmjmom28 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009