Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iam Self Employed... Iam wondering what all expen Im allowed to Claim?

Iam asking B/c, This year Iam gonna try to do my taxes myself online? I clean houses for a living!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • When you are self employed, I suggest you have a professional do it for you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • Yeah I agree!!! I am self employed and I have it set up with H&R block to do it every quater, which is every three months so I don't have to pay so much at tax time. Plus if there is a problem then they ensure that they will fix it without you being out of pocket.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • Ya jackson hewitt has done mine for past 4 years but, I just dont wanna pay anyone this year... I wanna get the most back.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • doing youre own taxes when youre self employed is pretty doesnt do any good to save the money doing it yourself and then have to pay all of that plus some to the IRS for a mistake.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • Don't go with one of the big firms ~ they will whack you on your fee. Check around to several independent financial consultants, CPA's, or tax attorneys. Most will meet with you for free initially to talk about whether or not they can help you. You can gain a lot of information just by meeting with and talking to these people, and your situation may be one that is easily accomplished by yourself but you won't know without checking around. Just Google "tax professionals" in your area and start sending e-mails or making calls.

    Answer by jburg2541 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • For cleaning houses, you can most likely deduct:
    * a portion of your vehicle expense for transportation to/from/between houses, but you must keep VERY good records of your mileage
    * a portion of your rent or mortgage for space in your home to store supplies and equipment, and to maintain and process your paperwork for the business, but it must be a space for ONLY business
    ....there are lots of other things, like meals during the times you're working, etc., but a tax pro can tell you all about those.

    Answer by jburg2541 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.