Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking in younger siblings .

Im wondering if anyone knows the procudures for that?
Both inlaws are going to jail for 3 years . And fiance and i are taking the kids in..Hopefully permanently. And im wondering what the qualifications are for that. Do fiance and i have to be a certain age? married?
He will do everything he can to get them to be with us .He says that foster care for them isnt a option.They need to be with him.
He is 22, i am 21. And we are worrried that the state wont give us custody. Even temporary custody for now, then full. We live in caifornia. We have a stable home, both have jobs.
If anyones has been through this i would appreicate any advice . Thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by aMbeR012005 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Adoption

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I would recommend calling DCFS and finding out what is required for you to do kinship care. If they are going to jail, then DCFS might get involved anyway if there are minors in the home. They should be able to help you figure out what steps need to be done and what the requirements are.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • I dont know if to wait untill she goes to jail , then go for custody ? or do it now. We for sure want to take the girl now and are trying on that. She needs medical attention. Im wondering if i can make an annonimous call to get them checked out and then possibly take them from there. We also want to make sure that they will let us take them. We have to act now. i will def call them . Maybe they can help us on what to do. thank you..

    Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • Honestly, I wouldn't wait now. I would get your name in there are potential caregivers. DCFS would rather place them with family as long as you meet their requirements. Good luck to you. It won't be easy taking on the children, but you've got a good heart for wanting to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • Oops....I meant I wouldn't wait, I would call now. Unfortunately my brain moves faster than my fingers can type anymore!! :-)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • It sounds like, without knowing details, your SO had to be super responsible. It would be best if he goes to the social services agency that is handling the situation, if social services in involved. Also, if he can afford to (and if you want to really do this you cannot afford not to) hire an attorney. That way you can get the legal advice that you need. He may be able to take custody of his siblings on his own as their adult brother. It is not unheard of. As long as he can prove he can provide for their needs, give them a home, clothes, foods, attend their school meetings, health care, ect.... All those things they will look at.  So working with all involved to ask questions would be a good idea.  They will know how best to proceed.  Also if he cannot get custody, ask about being able to have them placed with someone where he can visit and have very libral contact.

    Answer by frogdawg at 1:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • We are working on getting a bigger place now. We live in an apartment. I think the first step besides calling is getting a bigger place. We want to make sure we meet all requirments to get these kids.

    Answer by aMbeR012005 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • Usually, if children are taken from a home because the parents go to prison, they will be put in foster care until a family member can be located that wants to take the children into custody. When we were going through our foster care classes, there was a single lady that ended up getting custody of her nieces and nephews for the same reason. Call DCFS (whatever it's called in your state) and find out exactly what you need to do. You may have time to get a foster care license before the parents are sent to prison, it just all depends on your state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • I am in ca, and adopting from the foster system. Kinship care is always chosen first. You will have to get licenced for kinship care through the county they are from, or through an agency. You must have enough space for them. No more than two children per room, The children sharing the room can't be more than 5 years of age apart, and no boy - girl sharing after either one turns 5. PM me with questions I can answer more questions if you have them.

    Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

  • Research the laws in your state. If DCFS doesn't have custody of the kids, there's a good possibility that the parents can sign guardianship over to you, and you could adopt if they'll allow it. Otherwise, at your age, and being unmarried (don't rush and get married now-there may be a waiting period), they may place the children in foster care because they may consider it best for them.

    DCFS probably won't discuss the particulars of the case with you, however, they can answer generalized questions as if the kids were imaginary. Go ahead and start the processes of becoming foster parents, like taking the parenting courses, researching, etc. Good luck!

    Answer by sizesmith at 2:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

  • Have the parents sign temp cust. over to you before they go to jail. Then you won't have to worry about DFCS rules and regulations.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.