Leaders kid is a brat!

I co lead a girlscout troop with another woman. her daughter and mine ar ein the troop with 6 other girls. The leaders daughter is one of the worst in the group. She doesn't listen to her mother at all. She ruins the meetinf with her interruptions and she is making it more and more less fun for me. What do I do? Not all that close with other leader. Friendly not friends

mothermayiam

Asked by mothermayiam at 12:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ok (from an ex-leader) try talking to your friend (leader of group) it's not easy, but you are going to have to talk to her, if you can not or it doesn't work, go to the neighborhood leader (the one in control of all groups in your area) if you don't have one of those, go to your counsel and talk to the person in charge of your area...
    Explain it to her, maybe a third party person can come in and help...
    But to tell the turth, bc of the behavior of the leaders and their dd's, I left that group with my dd's and started a second group... the girls are not benefiting anything if there is always disruptions...
    Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My cousin and I are also leaders. She had a problem with her daughter showing off and not wanting to do the work. She actually put her daughter in my troop to help her benifit. I agree with PP.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 1:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I attended a troop when I was younger where the daughter of the leader was a brat. loved girl scouts but I didn't enjoy that this girl was singled out as special, did mean things, and got away with crap. I first would tell the other mother my concerns. In a way that was firm but careful. But no matter how you put it the likely hood is that she will see this as saying she is a bad parent and a bad troop leader. So also be prepared for what you need to do next so that you can enjoy this experience.  It is supposed to be about you and your daughter doing something you both enjoy together.  Do go to the governing counsel - perhaps other parents have had this same concern.  If not, another troop may want and need your time and talents.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i should not give advice. i got kicked out of my troop in kindergarten for punching the troop leaders bratty daughter because i was tired of her disrupting our "day is done" song. sorry....lol
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Funny when I was a kid I belonged to Brownies and the leaders daughter was sooo bratty too !!!

She drove me nuts !!!

Is there another mom there who you are friendly with or who seems to be annoyed that maybe you can talk to her about the situation and see what she thinks too. Strength in numbers kind of thing.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughters Daisy leader started the troop because the troop she was originally in.....the leaders twins were monsters and she couldn't stand it. We have a very nice troop with very nice girls in it. Maybe you should start your own troop if talking to the leader doesn't work for you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sometimes it's just that the girl reacts weird to having her mom be the leader. She might feel extra-important and it comes out as obnoxious.

My daughter was in a Brownie troop last year, where the leader's daughter K was a major brat. This year, the girls have moved up to Junior Girl Scouts with a different leader, and K is fine. No problem at all. The mom is still leading a Brownie with her younger girl, and there are no problems in that troop. It was a just a bad combination having K in a troop led by her own mom.

Does the mom not attempt to de-obnoxiousify her brat? If she's trying, then she's aware, and you can help her problem solve. If the co-leader seems oblivious to her daughter's brattiness, you're going to need to gently call her attention to it, maybe ask her "how would you like me to handle it when does ?

cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 10:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• When my oldest was in Brownies in 1st grade the co-leader's dd was a huge brat. I volunteered to help them with a project one day and this girl was out of control. I felt so bad for the mom. There like 15 girls in the troop and she spent 80% of her time dealing with her daughter who was one of the older girls (she was 7 or 8 and most of the girls were 6 going on 7).
    I went around the table trying to help as many girls as I could and she kept getting up, sliding under the table, mouthing off, talking when I was trying to explain things to everyone, running around, yelling. It was insane. I didn't say anything but I wondered how they could have meetings with that kid there. At least the mom knew her kid was being a brat, though. She did try to stop her but it had little effect.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• justanotherjen: Sounds like the same child here. I think the Mom knows her child is the cause of the trouble but it appears she has little control with this child. Ihave seen her in other situatuons and she is basically the same. We also attend church with these people I try not to sit with htme but the "brat" comes to sit with us and the disturbs us. with touching the other kids, gettin gup etc. I want my children to listen. Sounds like this problem is common.
    mothermayiam

Answer by mothermayiam at 8:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2009