How did you deal with your first or only child going to kindergarten?

My little man is seemingly indifferent, but I am terrified.
Anyone else experiance this? I am a SAHM, and he's been my life for 5 years now... I know I'm being silly, but I can't be the only one who has dealt with this!

brokenmelody

Asked by brokenmelody at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my oldest two, 4 3 days,I took them to their classrooms, the 4th, down the hall and the last day, to the front door. W/ my 2nd, she cried, "Mommy, I don't want to go". Then the bus pulled up and she was literally the first one on the bus!!!. W/ my 3rd, DH and I both took her to the bus stop. THEY DID GREAT & I cried when I got home. As a mom, it's normal b/c, IMO, it's the first step in "sending them out into the world". Maybe put a small family picture in his lunchbox & reassuring him you'll be there when he gets home. Also, the idea of preparing them w/ a positive attude is terrific. Hope this helps some and hang in there, it gets easier. Until they go off to college lol. I'm still dreading that day!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was pretty sad about it at first! I was scared that he'd have a hard time adjusting to the school bus, nervous about me not walking him right to his classroom and straight to his teacher and the control of knowing for 100% sure that he'd made it to class ok, etc. It took time to get used to it. But he learned so much so quickly that it was exciting, too!

Now I need to get used to it all over again. I will be sending kids to kindergarten for the next 2 falls in a row!! My daughter goes this fall ('09) and my youngest son goes just 1 year after her (fall '10). Wah!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My oldest is 12 now and it seems like yesterday, he was all business, got on the bus, and never looked back, I cried for 2 weeks. My 2nd son just started Kindergarten in 08 and he cried the night before, felt sick etc... I had to make him go, my oldest was a big help, and I didn't make a big deal of it. I told him he had to go and then once he went he realized how much he loved it.
    Now my 3rd son starts in the fall and I'm so worried, he's our baby and he's so terribly shy. He wears his heart on his sleeve, his feelings get hurt so easily so it's going to be tough. I think more for me than him...
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 12:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My oldest now 27 with children of her own, walked in smiling and waving goodbye to me and saying "bye mommy, love you" as I cried all the way home knowing that she took a very big step in growing up...my baby wasn't a baby no more...
    It is so normal for moms... my second did the same thing....
    Now I am raising a grandson... he tho was a bit more nervous... but loved his first day and I again cried all the way home...lol... he is now in the second grade...
    it's never easy letting them go let alone grow up...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• when my daughter started kindergarten, I was terrified.  What was she going to do with out me, what if she needed me, is she going to cry?  I prepared her with a very positive attitude of going to kindergarten.  On the first day of school, I was fighting hard to hold back my tears.  I waited in line with my daughter while the children were waiting for their teachers.  We were allowed to walk our child to class on the first day, once in her class we found her desk with her name,  as I was trying to get the courage to leave my baby she said to me mommy you can go now.  I kissed her goodbye, could no longer hold back those tears my little girls is growing up  When the kids were let out my daughter had this smile from ear to ear she was so excited to share her day with me. It was hard to let go and entrust another with my child. 
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• How exciting for you. This is a mile stone for you and for him. His indifference I don't know about. It could be he is just used to school if he has ever been to preschool. Kind of like, been there done that. For you - your routine and life is about to change. This is a graduation of sorts. In time you will have a new normal and a new routine that will be for years to come. You can do things to help yourself. There are mom groups for this very thing in most areas across the country. Just look in your local parenting magazine for some groups and meet up times. Volunteer at your child's school, even out of the room, to get a better feel of the school and a for you to feel good too.  If you can afford to: get some me massage time, shop, ect... If budget is tight, still spoil yourself in ways that are small but Heavenly.  Be good to yourself.  Get excited and your son might too.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• celebrate!
    Anonymous

• I am a SAHM too, and my son started school this last fall. I thought it would be hard, but because I feel a child looks at school often through his mothers' attitude, I have always acted like school is such a big deal, that I actually have fooled myself too. He has a great attitude about school, and going there every day, and I have a good attitude as well. He comes home everyday with 'gifts' for mom, showing her how smart he is, and that healthy food and good sleep helped him to do that. He thinks that because his dad goes away during the day, and now he does too, that it makes him feel important, and big. But we still find lots of time to snuggle, and with the books he gets from school, we get to read together while we do that. I've adjusted better to him going to school than I did when I brought him home from the hospital after he was born.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 2:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• there is always homeschooling!
    Anonymous

• ah, my boys were pretty nonchalant about it all. I kind of stood back and watched but I made a point of not getting myself worked up because I didn't want them to get the idea that there was a reason to be worked up. I asked if they were ready for me to go, and both kids different years looked at me and told me that yeah, I could go now and they were good and would see me later. Very matter of fact about it all.

I think even as moms we sometimes work ourselves up about nothing because it seems like we should. When you really think about it you know they're gonna be okay, and you know you're gonna be okay, so you just go with it and it's another step and not nearly as dramatic as the books say it could be, but then again, there's nothing wrong with simplicity.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009