When?

I go to the doctors today. Im almost 35 weeks pregnant. When can they tell me what weight they think the baby is going to be? Also, Can they tell me if the baby might be early?

Jennyv143

Asked by Jennyv143 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i believe they have to do an ultrasound to figure that out. I got mine done a couple weeks ago and Im now 39 wks. She had to measure her to figure out her weight.
    Amandah1982

Answer by Amandah1982 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They aren't really very accurate anyways, if you ask me.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They can gauge the size of the baby with ultrasound. An experienced doctor can give you a ballpark. Any guess at early birth is just that, a guess. There is no way to tell. You can be effaced, dialated and walk around that way for a week! Or, you can be closed up like a clam and all of the sudden you are ready. Try to get some rest. You are going to be busy really soon!
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 12:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They can guess what the baby might be, but it may not be right. They guessed my first was about 6.5 lbs-- she was 8 lbs. My twins if carried full term would have been 6 and 7 lbs but they were both born at 5.9lbs
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• the last few months the baby is supposed to gain about a pound a month i think, but when they told me, the guess was 7lbs and my son ended up being about 10! so dont put much faith in what the tell you cuz its usually just a guess.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They can tell you but that doesn't mean they are right. And babies come when they want to come. you could be dilated to 1 or 2 and still have weeks to go.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I had an ultrasound every month starting at 20 weeks because of Gestational Diabetes and they said my baby would be 9+ pounds if I went full term. They induced me at 38 weeks and he was 6lbs 14oz. It's not always accurate. They're usually within 2lbs either way.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my doctor did not do a ultra sound he jsut felt the baby and and he was only a couple of oz off I was impressed.
    lglorioso

Answer by lglorioso at 2:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my doctor guessed way way off with both the size and me going early/ doc said baby was small and maybe only 7 lbs. and my son was 8.3 and then everyone including doc. said i would go at least 2 weeks before dues date and nope only three days before my due date so i dont listen to docs guesstimates baby comes when baby wants to and the only way to really guess the size is prob by u/s and my doc. wouldnt give me one after i think 32 weeks so i dunno...........
    mamad86

Answer by mamad86 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009