Nicotine withdrawals

If someone is being forced to quit smoking cold turkey and is now going through what I believe to be nicotine withdrawals, how long does it take to level out to at least a point he isn't going to feel he is going crazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Health

• 3 days.
    Anonymous

• Physical addiction only lasts for about 21 days. Mental addiction CAN last a lifetime. I have quit on several occasions and have restarted. It usually takes me about a month-and it is a LONG month-to make me feel like I am "normal" again:)
    Anonymous

• 3 days are you talking from experience...damn if you do not want to quit it can take weeks.
    I was so dizzy when I quit that I had to chew the gum in order to feel good.
    If he does not want to quit he is going to take some time. You really need to what to do it for yourself doing it for someone else and it may not work.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• he's 19, been smoking since he was about 8 and just got put in jail Sunday morning and it has a no smoking policy...period. So in addition to the stress of being put in jail, he's having to deal with this.....and from our numerous phone conversations, he's not handling it well at all. I don't know what to do to help....well, I know I can't do much but I didn't know how long the worse of it was going to last. He is not my biological son but a boy I met three years ago thru our youth group at church....in my heart, he is mine.
    Anonymous

• Don't think that I am crazy but I would think this would be the best way and time for him to quit.
    My brother had a choice jail or rehap....He is now clean 2 years......
    I hope that in a good way him going to jail will help him.
    Just talk to him, let him know that he is a good person and the butts are just a crutch.
    Good Luck
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Thank you, that is what I'm doing and when I get my phone bill in a couple of months, it's going to very obvious with the collect calls but I don't care.....I have told him I'll be there for him regardless....I don't smoke, never been addicted to anything too dangerous so I can't imagine what he's dealing with. I do know for a test I was having a year or so ago, I had to lay off my diet cokes for three days....it put me in bed with a headache for a whole day...that was bad enough. I have read that drinking lots of water will help, so I'm going to suggest that tonight.

I know this time in jail is going to be good in the long run for several reason......when we finally get there. I can't wait. :)
    Anonymous