Do you think pre-walking babies need/should wear shoes?

Personally, I think its unnecessary expense but I sure did have fun dressing DS in the ones I was given.

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 12:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No I don't think its neccesary, my daughter has never worn shoes....and somewhere, at some point in time, I think I recall hearing that when your child starts walking, putting shoes on their feet can hinder their developement, because they use their toes to help balance, and if they have shoes on they aren't able to do that. Don't quote me on that though, its just something I remember hearing.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No, socks are fine for non walking babies. I didn't put shoes on my kids until they were walking.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 12:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They used to say yes.. but I don't think thats the case anymore. I did for my girls, but my daughter didn't buy for her girls and they walked just fine. Oh, which reminds me of something I heard the other day, you are not supposed to let your kids where flip flops and or those slip on shoes, because it does not give their feet anything to form to, so they wind up with flat feet and lots of problems... sounds right to me ????
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• no they shuldn't. when babies ar elearning to walk they curl their feet which develops their arches. wearing shoes can/will interfere w-their arch development. me and my sister both have flat feet, my mom said she had us in shoes all the time b/c that's what they were told to do. so we didn't get the curling effect
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i put hard bottom shoes on my daughter even tho she cant even think about walkin yet but its because i dont want it to be a hard trasition for her if she starts walking without them. My niece and nephew stuggled very much when they started wearing shoes because they werent use to the feeling of them
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter is starting to walk, but the only time she wears shoes is when I don't want her to take her socks off. Cuz she will! Or when I am carrying her somewhere where I may want to put her on the floor to walk. Like the doctor's office or the school when picking up older brother.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I only use shoes on non-walking babies when I take them outside in the cold. We live where it snows and gets bitterly cold. My dd started kicking her socks off the minute we hit the door. I'd set the carrier down to lock the door and then have to find both socks from the ground, lol. When it's chilly but not cold enough for a snowsuit then they get socks and shoes/booties. I get them secondhand from friends, yardsales, and on sale. Just a pair or two per size.
    mmwillow

Answer by mmwillow at 1:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i used the soft bottom shoes for my son, mainly just to get him used to wearing them. i didnt want it to be a fight when he did start walking.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I do when we're leaving the house, cuz it's cold and he looks cool. But when I've got him trying to walk around, I take his shoes and socks off. He just walks better that way. I figure when he's walking really well, I'll let him try with shoes on.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I had some, people always gave them to me...but I am so simple when it comes to babies that they never ever wore them.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2009