Eating organically

Does anyone out there feed their kids organic foods only? Give me the scoop on why you do this. I have been considering it.

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I fed my son organic only for the first 4 years or so. Now, I feed my infants (6month old twins) organic only. I do this because I really believe that all the herbacides & pesticides have a harmful effect, long-term and short-term. Earth's Best is a great brand and on the packaging it says something to the effect of, 'I wouldn't let my child play in a field sprayed with chemicals so I wouldn't let my child eat food from it either.' I now make homemade babyfood and occassionaly buy jarred, Earth's Best, but homemade is about a tenth of the cost and you know what your child is eating. Hope this helps!
    3k1hcraze

Answer by 3k1hcraze at 1:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm not ok with all the sulfates and phosfates in the food and going in to the ground water it is more about the environment for me
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 3:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I eat and feed my children a lot of organic foods. I would love to all organic but it is too expensive. I think all the chemicals, pesticides, etc are bad for us and things like cancers and other disease can be prevented by eleminating these things from our lives. I wish I could afford to do all organic but I can't....we use organic chemical free lotions and sunscreens, etc when we can to...I would love to do all organic, it is just too expensive though.
    Lsmom

Answer by Lsmom at 10:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I dont' do all organic because it's too expensive but I got of a list of fruits and veggies high in pesticides and I get those organic. I do it because I want to minimize the amount of chemicals we eat. I mean, there's not escaping them completely, but if I can reduce it even a little, I think it's good.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My kids are all older, but when they were young I only bought organic foods. I did this because of the insecticides and pesticides. Now that they are grown, they all eat healthily and just like the taste of organic, natural foods best. So do my husband and I. You can especially taste the difference in the meats bought at a natural food store. I'm not a big beef eater but an occasional steak tastes good. The seafood from a natural food store is outstanding. Back to your original question, I feel we need to be careful of everything we eat, breathe in our lungs, and use on our skin. Consequently, part of being healthier is eating foods that have not been contaminated with these harmful insecticides and pesticides. We also drink organic milk--tastes better and doesn't have all those harmful harmones in it.
    lovemyfamily6

Answer by lovemyfamily6 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We are switching to organic in many areas as Costco carries it at great prices!
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 9:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009