how do you get a 2 year old that shows that its time to pottytrain to tell us that he has got to go and for him to stop pooping in his diaper and taking it off and smering it everywhere?

me and my husband has tried everything we can think of to get our 2 year old to use the potty, but everything we try don't work and we stopped for a while because we didn't want to push him into anything and scare him with the whole potty thing but now he is taking off his diaper everytime he gos poop and hes smearing it everywhere and he knows what he is doing is wrong because he laughs and says i don't take diaper off i go to potty and i don't know if hes mocking what i tell him or not but im so confused and i need help on fig. it out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wish i knew. yesterday, since we were low on diapers and my dd likes to sit on the potty, we took her diaper off and put her on the toilet since she said she had to poop. she sat on the toilet for 20 minutes and then said she was done. ok... well she ran around without her diaper, went into a corner and began to do her duty there! GRRRRR.... she KNOWS when she has to potty, but refuses to go in the toilet.... so i am just leaving potty training until the summer when she can warmly run around naked... i will checking to see answers that you get.. my other two were SO much easier to potty train, even if my ds was not fully trained until he was 3 1/2!
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Does he ever tell you he needs clean pants? Does he follow you or DH when you go to the toilet? Does he have a bm pretty much around the same time? Does he go somewhere private like in a corner or behind a chair to have a bm? If so, get him some big boy underpants and start putting him on the potty at regular intervals throughout the day. If he has an accident, take him to the bathroom to clean up. Dispose of the poop in the potty and tell him that's where pee and poop go.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have a two year old little girl that just went through the same thing. I talked to her pediatrician about it and she said that toddlers often do the smearing because they are curious about the way it feels. I bought my daughter some play dough and while she was playing with it, I explained to her that she could play with it instead of her poo because poo was gross. I told her that poo only went in the potty and not on our hands. My pediatrician also said that playing in her feces could be a way for her to get attention or a sign of anxiety. This made sense because she has a younger sibling that has taken some of her attention. Her doctor said that scolding her for smearing may only make her more anxious,, so I just tried to talk to her and spend a little more time with her alone. It seemed to do the trick for me, she no longer does it.
    torilee_03

Answer by torilee_03 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009