my son is ten months old and we just found out we are expecting again! gulp! this one is due in august and i had a csection with my first son because he was too big. what are my chances of having a vbac? any advise on how to prepare for one?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 1:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it depends on the direction you were cut.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i will tell you what my OB told me and the OB at the hospital after my c-section:

"Do NOT (!!) get pregnant again within the next 12-24 months. the scar needs a long time to heal. From the out- and especially from the inside."

I really do not want to scare you. but in the last months of your pregnancy you need to be really careful and probably have to get some more check-ups than usually. just to be sure that your "old" scar wont rip.
    Of course, every woman is different and many women get pregnant again so fast after the last baby. but the risk is still there.

they most likely will recommend you another c-section, just because of the fact that your "old" scar isnt that old yet and because of the pressure of a normal birth the "old" scar can rip.

but, if you get lucky you will be able to have a vbac. depends on your old scar.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• A lot of doctor's are not comfortable with VBAC's, so your biggest challenge will be finding a doctor who will support you.

The last poster is right, your chances are less likely because of the lack of healing time.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009