What is the best way to find a good home for a dog?

I don't want ANY bashers. We are doing what is best for our dog. We are wanting to re home him. The simple fact is the kids and I are not dog people but DH is. Our dog is taken care of as in fed, has water gets let outside, isn't abused BUT he is not getting the love and attention that a good dog deserves. DH works a lot. Lately when he is home even he doesn't give the dog love and attention the way he used to. We want him to go to a good home with people who will give him lots of love and attention. He is not happy here I can tell, he just mopes around when DH isn't home. How can you tell if someone will be a good owner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2011 in Pets

• What about a shelter?
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2011

• you should check your local humane society. they do NOT put animals down, and there is a rigorous adoption process before they adopt the pets out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2011

• Is there a rescue in your area? The Humane Society may be able to give you names of places that would be a good fit. Please DO NOT go to Craigslist as there are horror stories there.

You could also ask around at your church and school to see if there is a parent that is looking for a pet to add to their family.

Good luck!
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 8:04 AM on Nov. 21, 2011

• Call the shelter and ask them what local rescues are around. Pet Smart and other pet stores may also have lists. We are doing the same with my sons dog. He wont be home for months and when he goes get back likely will be back right into a hospital and she is pretty out of control. I have a rescue in the area I donate to so I called the lady who runs it and she is taking her.

Answer by gemgem at 8:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2011

• Petfinder.com, a breed specific rescue if he is a purebred (they normally do not euthanize except in cases of severe aggression), or you can put an add in your local paper advertising that there is a rehoming fee of about $100 or so. You can interview anyone who calls to ask and decide if you think they are able to give him loving home and then choose if you still want the fee. By saying there is a fee you ensure that you'll only get serious inquiries and not people looking for bait dogs or people that can't afford to care for him and are getting a dog on a whim. Avoid Craigslist.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2011

• Any local rescue organizations?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2011

• Is this a purebred dog? If so see if there is a breed rescue near you.
    If not then you might put an add in the real paper. Not craigs list or the free ones. Ask the person if they have other animals and if they have a vet. You can get a feel for the person by talking to them in person and then decide one way or the other.
    I am sorry it didn't work out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2011