what supplies do I need to be a transcriptionist?

I applied today for an entry level transcription position from home and I'm wondering what I need to buy if offered the position. I know I need a pedal but what other equipment needs to come with it? I haven't done transcription since college when i interned for a lawyer and that was at his office. Thanks for the info laides.

Julie1976

Asked by Julie1976 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Hi there. I have been doing medical transcriptionist for 4 years now and I love it. All you need is a computer and email. Each doctor has their own way of sending their reports to their transcriptionists so I would suggest that when you do approach a physician, find out how they are sending their reports at the current time and then try to dupliciate it. If they think it will be easier for them to swtich to another transcriptionist, you have a better shot of getting the account.
    Good luck; you can pm me if you have more questions.
    Staci
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have done transription in the past as well. However, I worked for myself. I just used a recorder with foot pedal, a computer word processing program and that was it. Make sure you have plenty of medical dictionaries, books, etc... And a current Drug Handbook would be very beneficial.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes, pupmom is absoluately correct. I can't believe I didn't include all the books and dictionairesl I use them constantly. Also, I have a foot pedal too.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009