Do you honestly look down on people who are using wic or food stamps at the grocery store?

Or if you are on it do you sometimes feel embarrassed? I am on wic and I just feel embarrassed about it, I know I shouldn't but I do. If this gets out of hand I will delete it. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, if you are in need there is nothing to be ashamed of. It is the ones who abuse the system who should be ashamed, not the ones who honestly need it.

Hun, never be ashamed or whatnot about needing help. No one has it "all" together and we should be helping eachother, not snubbing ppl. Keep your head high!
    OneLove4Jesus

Answer by OneLove4Jesus at 5:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I do not, I have been on them in the past, and am really greatful they are there. The only time I have a problem is when I know of people abusing the system. As soon as I was capable I dropped all assistance, I want it to be there for the next person that needs it. I needed a hand up, not a hand out, and if that is what it is, then I am glad it is available.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree Jazk! I don't mind ppl being on assistance, most of us have been at some point in time. I was a single mom with no child support. I did feel a bit embarrassed but ya know I eventually got over that. Soon as I got a good job and no longer needed it, I didn't reapply. It is the ppl who use and abuse the system that make me mad. And I don't like the fact that Immigrants can come in and get on food stamps either. And yes they do I know of pplenty. They work under the table and pay no taxes yet we are feeding them and what not. Not that we shouldn't be good to our fellow man, but if you want help the least you can do is pay taxes like the rest of us. JMO
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I don't think it is bad,the help is there for honest peopleand the few that abuse the system give everyone else a bad reputation.Here is a way you can "give back", to maybe not feel bad.You can volunteer at the local food banks or shelters.At Christmas you can wrap gifts for kids in need, or you can offer to babysit for moms at shelters who need to find work.Asking/needing help is nothing to be ashamed of-you are a great mom because it takes alot of strength to go to any lengths necessary to support your kids.(claps for you) hang in there mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• yea i feel embarrassed , i try to go to the strore wen its about to close ... go in the shortest lines ... no lines where the cashiers are younger ... and im looking for a job ANNYWHERE so i can get off assistance!!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No I do not look down nor have I ever! It is there for a reason to help people who need it! We have been getting help for the last 2 yrs around this time of year due to my Hubby gettin laid off. I am greatful for the help! Because unemployment does not help keep up with everything!
    Anonymous

• No I don't. And if I needed them, I wouldn't care what others thought.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I would never look down on someone who is less fortunate than me. I absolutely do not like people who abuse public assistance though. But in a grocery line, how can you tell who's really down and out and who is the one abusing the system?
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No,I would never,because,I never know when ,my finances will change,and I may need assistance,but I have worked in a grocery store,and seen alot of abuse of the system.I did use to get upset when people would come through the line with food stamps for their food,then buy like 50.00 worth of beer and cigarretes.Look what that would buy for a child.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I don't look down on anyone and I don't feel embarrassed when I have to use W.I.C. It is there to help people get on their feet. Just the same as everyone pays taxes into the system so did the people who require temporary assistance. I know that there are people who abuse these programs but you can't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009