My son will "Not" stop repeating me!

My son is going to be 3 in FEb. He repeats everything that everyone says. When I am getting on to my youngst (Gavin), Ethan (the repeater) will come up and get onto him also. He will go up and smack Gavin on the butt for doing something that he does not like or so on. It is driving me crazy, I feel as if I can not do or say anything around him with out having some kind of reapeting or similar reaction to mine. How do I get him to stop? I have ran out of ideas...

broken0image

Asked by broken0image at 1:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son will "Not" stop repeating me!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• laughingSorry couldn't resist.

He sounds like a real firecracker - that bossy stage sucks. Just ride out and remind him lovingly that YOU are the parent....he'll get the message....

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Wimsey, I'm with you! I had that whole scenario played out in my head and that's just hilarious! My nephew lives in the same house as me and he's about 7 months older than my son. My son does things similar to what your son does but I don't think he's as extreme (lol)! Anyways, I try to make sure they are in separate rooms when being scolded or disciplined. If my son should walk into the room, I tell him to go back in his room (or wherever he came from). If he chooses not to, of course that's a problem because now he's not listening and is about to be in the one receiving the discipline. We have to realize that kids do learn by imitating us. In time, they do understand what behaviors are appropriate for them and the circumstances. This is just part of being a mommy. Just keep correcting him, it gets better. Good luck! Thanks for this, it made my day!
    MonicaJaye

Answer by MonicaJaye at 2:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sounds like he is getting your attention and getting on your nerves. Maybe he likes getting you all excited and upset. The reaction he gets probably reinforces him and makes him want to continue doing it. Try ignoring his repeating behavior and if he trys to disapline his brother, just quietly remove his hand and move brother someplace else. Don't give him a strong reaction or any reaction if you can.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2009