What are your thoughts on egg donation?

I am just beginning a egg donor IVF cycle, where I will donate my eggs to another couple in the hopes that they will be able to have a baby. I told a couple of people about this when I was thinking about doing it and I got some really bad responses. From "that's not normal" to "you will be abandoning your child" I feel that I am just helping another loving couple to have a baby that they might not be able to have if not for my help! I can't imagine my life without my daughter and I would hate for any woman to have to go through life not being able to experience motherhood! What do you think....I'm I looking at this wrong or are the other people wrong, and do you think you could be an egg donor?

NEWMAN12

Asked by NEWMAN12 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Health

• I have thought about it, but since we have no clinics in my area it would require a lot of traveling from and I just don't have the time.

I think you are wonderful for wanting to give another woman the mother experience, don't let anyone tell you different.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Your a better person than I am. I could never have a biological child out there somewhere, he/she would have to be in my life.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think it is wonderful that you are doing that! I can not imagine not being able to be a mother and every thing that goes with it! Ok I am sure I could go with out the wining and temper tantrums but I will take it!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I could be an egg donor. I could see that. But I would have concerns about what that would mean for my own fertility down the road. We are only born with so many eggs. And we shed the healthiest eggs when we are in the prime ages for child baring. So I don't know enough about it to say that I would do that. If I knew for sure that it would no way impact my ability to have children in the future, then I would say go for it.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Thanks for answering! Frogdawg, I understand what you are saying about fertility down the road, but that is not an issue for me. I do not want any more children and I have had my tubes tied! So, I decided that my eggs were going to waste and why not offer them to another couple that was unable to have children....since I'm not using them, someone should benefit from them!
    NEWMAN12

Answer by NEWMAN12 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• That's so generous of you!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009