Am I the only one?

How many of you dread, and I mean dread, speaking to your husbands about $. For me, this is the absolute worst conversation to have with him. He works about 90 hours per week so most of the responsibility of the house and making sure bills are paid on time is up to me. I would rather have a root canal without anesthesia than have these conversations with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• (typing quietly as not to alert the lord of all things green) lol yes I deal with it too.lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree! I also hate having to tell him that he can not buy something because we can not afford it. He is the main money maker in our family so he feels he should be able to buy what ever he wants a lot of the times. I also get so stressed making sure all the bills are paid from month to month! I wish he would just look at the bills too and see where the money is going to!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I try and just keep money in the account for my hubby to spend. The few times he started looking at the account he realized how much we spend on food and other needless stuff he got pissed at me. I just avoid having this conversation at all costs!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• OH!!! You are sooooooooooooooooo not alone. It's the worst conversation for us right now. My DH got laid off last August (2 days before his birthday)! He had to take whatever he could find because jobs in his field are few and far between. We're very thankful for my job and I'm sure in this economy I'm not alone in thinking if you have a job...no matter what it is....you hold the hell on to it as tight as you can! My DH had to take a 3rd shift job paying about $4.00 more per hour than my 17 year old son makes at his part time job! Talk about humbling!!!!! All my husband can pay right now is the mortgage. But I thank God for that crappy 3rd shift job because at least we're able to keep a roof over our head. He's been on several job interviews but nothing else yet.....I pray alot....sigh!!!! Money talks are very stressful for us both right now!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Do you work?

If he works and give you the responsibility to pay the bills then I would say you are lucky alot of men just give their wives a certain amount and they keep the money. Since they feel they earned so I would not be complaining love ur hubby he sounds like a great guy.

Just try not to talk to him about money.arguingIt is not worth sometimes if u love this man talk about something else. Money is the #1 problem in divorce. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I too handle the bills, but fortunately I can be very open with him about it. If I say we can get something then he knows it is okay, if I say no he knows it is for a reason.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes, I work. I do medical transcription from home and it pays me about $1,200 per month. My issue is that whenever something goes wrong, even if it's not my fault, it's my fault. We had someone steal $ from our account; they managed to get their hands on his ATM card and he blamed me for it; how is it my fault if it wasn't even my card? I just cannot deal with this conversation because if it only resorts back to me doing something wrong, when I don't, then I would rather not deal with it at all.
    Anonymous

• I used to hate it. My husband would sulk if he could not do what he wanted. I got sick of paying bills late so he could golf or go to movies three times a week. I handed him the bills, checkbook and budget. He took over the bills for 6 months. Most things were paid late and if someone called looking for a payment I handed him the phone. He apologized to me and I took it back over. He realized just because he is the only one working the money is family money and needs to be spent wisely.

It has been several years since this time. Since he curbed his spending we were able to pay off all debt and have savings. He makes more money so now he can do what he wants within reason. He finally grew up when he realized what it took to run a house. Some men never get that some women don't either. I am glad mine did I could never be married to a child I could not discuss money with.

Anonymous

• oh my god i agree,,isnt it awful,,,,,,,,,,they work so hard and we bitch!!!!
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Nope, no problems here. We have a joint account. I handle managing the bills/accounts. We both deposit our checks to the same account. We discuss any major purchases, review credit cards throughout the month to make sure nothing huge or unusual is on there. We created the budget together.
    Anonymous