sleeeping on ur back!!!

whe is it that ur not supposed to sleep on ur back ne more and what is the reason? and also what will happen if u do? i fall asleep on my side but always end up un my back, oh btw im 19 weeks preg

kimmie123

Asked by kimmie123 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is around 20 weeks that you aren't supposed to, because your uterus is getting heavier and can lay on your femoral arteries and cut off blood flow. If you fall asleep on your side and wake up on your back, no worries! It happens to the best of us. If you wake up just roll back over and go back to sleep, no harm no foul.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• at first its supposedly fine, but when you get a bigger belly my dr told me that the weight of the baby can compress this artery that you have running down your spine or something and that can slow the heartrate of the baby. by that point its really uncomfortable to sleep on your back anyway. but from what ive been told, you're not supposed to sleep on your stomach in the beginning, and youre not supposed to sleep on your back twords the end. oh and when you get really big twords the end even turning over to get more compfortable becomes a huge event so its not likely you will be doing that in your sleep so no worries.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Your not suppost to sleep on ur back because it cuts off blood flow and oxygen to the baby so in order to avoid doing so you should always keep a pillow behind ur back so you stay on ur side. And who knows how long your really are sleeping on ur back so you never know it could be long enough to be harming the baby a little.
    Anonymous

• well the reasons my docs told me were regarding a big arterty in your back.As you get heavier it puts more pressure on this artery which supplies all the blood to your lower half.It can cause blood flow probs to the baby but I am not sure how much.I have your same prob and docs told me that when I wake up on my back just to move.I also have put more pillows in the bed to keep myself more stable.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I ended up on my back all the way up until the night before I was induced at almost 41 weeks. I know it's bad...but if that's the only way you can get comfortable, go for it. Your body will tell you if you're depriving your baby of oxygen.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm 26 weeks and can no longer sleep on my back. The pressure of my uterus takes my breath away or something. It's a weird feeling.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I wake up in the middle of the night on my back and have a small freak out about it lol, but my OB said your body will naturally move itself if there's any danger like blood being cut off to you feeling dizzy short of breath or whatever.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yeah, it is all about blood flow. However, I am 38 weeks along and find myself waking up on my back all the time. Sometimes it is the only way I am comfy.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am 33 weeks and I still sleep on my stomach, back, whichever way I feel like. My OB said that it was fine. To just place a body pillow under my stomach or back to elevate me to the left side. Don't freak out about it your body will let you know. I have woke up with numb fingers and toes, readjust myself and I am fine.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2009