LDS visiting next week-Need advice on how to not offend them yet have them leave us alone

I have researched LDS religion, have skimmed thru the book, and, this is not a bash on Mormons, this religion is not for me. I respect every religion, this one included, but I simply do not want to join. I am pretty sure when they visit us next week (they wanted to return when DH was here) they will not attempt conversion anymore because, I will be adamant in why I refuse to join, and am steadfast in this. I am hoping you can give me advice in case they won't take the hint?? I'm not judging LDS, I'm just not interested anymore. (They brought us the book & wanted to talk religion then; heck give us a chance to read the book lol) I will say one more time; LDS religion is pretty cool, I am not bashing them, I just don't agree with little stuff (or big stuff, depending on how you look at it)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Tell them how you feel. If they keep pushing then ask them to leave. Tell them you want no more contact and will not open the door if they approach.

Firm but kind. They are taught to listen and take no for an answer but they are also human and sometimes their pushy personality might show through(we all have pushy people in our lives Im sure LOL. Lovely personality trait).

As a returned missionary, we took the no up front and would just leave our card(if we hadnt already) and tell them to call if they needed anything or whatnot. Thats what should happen.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Just tell them you're not interested and they won't bug you anymore
    Anonymous

• Yea, just tell them plain out, they need all the time they can get to do the rest of their missionary work.
    Anonymous

• Tell them what it is that you believe in and leave it at that. You'll be doing exactly what they're doing.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Then just tell them that. It's not like they're going to try to drag you off to a cave or something. Just be polite, but firm.
    Anonymous

• Why are you even allowing them back? Seriously, call and cancel the appt. Tewll them we are not interested thank you, goodbye.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• it seems as if you have already been firm with them and they are just trying to do the lords work here. ask them to pray for you and to know the desire of your heart which is not to join. they will get the message. also it would probably help if you could honestly tell them i have read your entire book from to back and prayed about it and my feeling is still no. then they won't pressure you to continue to do this or that. i bet all they want is for you to put in an honest effort into what they ask and they could feel they have done all they had with their beliefs and helping you understand it better. there would be nothing left for them to go on or build on if you did the extent you said you would.
    Anonymous

• did you tel them you would read the book and pray about it? if you did you should probably follow through. they probably sense you need more coaxing. there would be nothing left to argue if you did everything you said and the feeling was still no.
    Anonymous

• If it were me, I'd just say, "I have read your book. I've thought about what it says, and I've thought about your beliefs. While I have no problem with any of it, and very much respect it, I have decided this is not the religion for me. Thank you for the information, and if I ever change my mind, I'll call you." Simple, to the point, and polite. If they don't take the hint, then just tell them that badgering you after you've stated your feelings isn't going to change your mind and to please respect your decision and leave you alone.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You can politely say, "we worship the devil" or just tell them no thanks.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 3:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009