I am having a gathering @ my home and we always remove our shoes.We are thinking of posting a sign @ the entry for everyone to kindly remove shoes. The affair is outdoors in a tent. I realize our guest will need to use the bathroom @ times. What do you think?

We have hard wood floors & I find people to be very inconsiderate they walk with heels leaving the floor scratched.When my kids were young I'd make everyone remove shoes, I didn't want foreign objects such as gravel, gum from underneath shoes getting stuck to carpet or worse yet in the childrens mouth. With the exception of some elderly family members out of respect I wouldn't mind but all others I think should have the common sense to do the right thing. Additiionally, I should add the husband cleans the floors for me always & this would either cost us additional money or more work for him, neither which I am willing to entertain. I have seen people walk into my home knowing how strict I am & disregard/respect my request & enter rooms uninvited (off white carpet in the bedroom) which I find extremely rude. Anyone out there agree? PS I still tell my kids to remmove shoes especially in others home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Entertainment

• Buy a roll of heavy clear plactic and put in down for the path to the bathroom staple it to the carpet if necessary. Close all the other doors in the house to discourage wandering. It's too rude to ask outdoor party guests to remove shoes to go in the house. OR rent a potr a potty.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I agree with the first answer. You can't expect them to remove their shoes every time they come in and out. That'd by kind of annoying. By plastic or rent a long runner to place in the path between the door and the bathroom.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I agree 100% with vbruno I was going to say the same thing
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 8:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• If some was just visiting that's different, but you really can't expect party guest to take off their shoes just to use the bathroom.....

I would rent a port-a-pot that way there would be NO NEED for anybody to go inside.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Well we like people to take off their shoes in our home but there are just a few ppl who refuse! When we have alot of guest like that for birthday parties and such we just expect to have the extra work to clean up after everyone leaves. We mop our kitchen which is wood flooring and sweep and scrub any high traffic areas on the carpets. We just consider it part of having guests over. If you make everyone take off their shoes people might get mad or not feel comfortable in your house. You could do the plastic thing but then you ight look really weird. I dont know what it worse making everyone take off their shoes or having them walk on plastic clear to the bathroom lol. If you can find a rug big enough that wouldnt bad. Good luck I know this is a diffucult situation.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I would put a sigh up, say u just had your floors done it.
    papai

Answer by papai at 10:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Wear and tear really makes a house look run down. I really do understand where you are coming from. If you like to entertain, I would invest in a few area rugs for the high traffic areas. That will make it so that your guests arent walking right on the carpet, and after the party, you can roll them up and store them away in the garage. That would look better than clear plastic over the carpet, and if someone is wearing high heels, the plastic would be punctured anyhow. I do agree with an above post where they suggested shutting the doors to discourage wandering. Maybe leaving a sitting room open with a rug down in the room for older guests to come and sit and relax for a little while. Have fun at your party!!!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 1:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I don't think 1 party would cause much issue to your floors. I think it is very tactless to put up a sign or be the shoe police on patrol. If you feel this strongly buy area rugs or plastic as suggested.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree with the above poster, I would think it was a little off-putting to be a guest at someone's house with a posted sign. Do the area rug thing if your concerned about how your house is going to be treated. I know you don't want to have to deal with the floor issue, but it is a party, and hopefully your guests are mature enough to not destroy your stuff. If you come off as too much of a tight-ass about everything, people really won't want to come back. I know I don't like going into someone's home who demands no shoes...you just feel unwelcome.
    Anonymous

• NOT TO BE RUDE BUT WE WENT TO A PARTY AND IT WAS SO ANNOYING HAVING TO TAKE OUR SHOES OFF. FOR EVERYTHING KIDS COMMING IN AND OUT WE COULDN'T ENJOY OURSELVES BECAUSE WE WERE ALSO LOOKING AFTER OUR KIDS COMMING IN AND OUT.. WE DON'T WANT TO GO TO THERIR HOUSE NOW. WE MAKE EXCUSES ALL THE TIME. I WOULD GET SOME RUGS FOR HEAVY TRAVELED AREAS.
    Monicas3kidz

Answer by Monicas3kidz at 1:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2008