Diet plan for nursing mom?!

I just had a baby 2 months ago and I am nursing him. I have alot of excess weight (about 30lbs) that I want to get rid of but I am very afraid of going on a diet and not eating enough to keep my milk supply up. And as far as diet pills...out of the question until I am done breastfeeding. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. We don't have a gym or anything close by and we live in Kansas so it's too cold for me to go walking outside with my kiddos! I am really not happy with the way I look and want to lose the weight before summer gets here.

Mommy2Bx32008

Asked by Mommy2Bx32008 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• This is what I did and still do. Its about a lifestyle change really anyway.

I eat as much fruit as I desire before each meal.

In the mornings I drink green smoothies or I make sure I have a large green salad in the day.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If I am hungry I eat more fruit and then eat something after if I want it. If I dont want the fruit I know it is just a craving and it will pass.

Fruits and greens contain all the nutrients our body needs so making sure you get plenty will curb cravings and prevent you from eating too much fat. HOWEVER...you really do need to become aware of emotional eating more than anything. I didnt realize how much a lot of my eating was emotional (even happy emotions) until I started being more self ware.

Hope this helps.

http://www.yourfatfreedom.com
    keyaziz

• You are only 2 months postpartum and breastfeeding. I understand your wanting to get rid of it quickly - but breastfeeding takes weight away quick! Thats all I used for the first 6 months and I lost all but 8 of my 45 pregnancy pounds. Im sorry thats not really an answer to your question - but I just want to say not too worry so much ! It will go away! Good luck
    Anonymous

• eating 6 vegetarian meal a week cuts fat intake drink sassy water lemon slices cucumber mint leves and ginger rounds and I put steiva leave in it to make it a little sweet let it steep over night  also lots of fiber helps I even drink fiber drinks in the morning helps me feel fuller longer you can also change your big meal of the day from lunch or dinner to breakfast oh! if you have a wii you should play wii sport of wii fit it is really fun and you totally get a work out thouse are a few things that helped me

lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 3:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The best "diet" to do is just replace the junk like candy and chocolate with things that are better for you. That's what I've been doing (not on purpose, my dd has a milk allergy so I can't eat chocolate) and I've lost 7 lbs since the holidays where before I cut out chocolate I was losing none.

Walking is really good for getting rid of excess fat (at least for me) so try putting you little one in a stroller and heading out for a good long walk 3 times a week (I should listen to my own advice.)

Good Luck, and do be careful about cutting calories because it's not a good way to diet while nursing.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 6:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Lots and lots of nutritious foods like fruits and vegetables and whole grains....no junk like white breads, candy, cookies, etc. Get exercise by playing with your kiddos and doing mommy and me exercises with baby. Dribj lots of water, no soda....and if you drink juice be sure it is always 100percent juice. And take prenatals while nursing
    Lsmom

Answer by Lsmom at 10:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Weight Watchers has a special plan just for breast-feeding mommies! Joining is a little pricey but, if you can find someone you know that is already a member, they can get you a set of books for only $20! That's how I got in. At first, it seems tough but, after about a week, you will get the hang of it and it will train you in different eating habits that will stick with you for life!
    secondrose

Answer by secondrose at 12:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• you burn an extra 1000 calories a day when breastfeeding Dont do what I did I went on a diet and lost to much weight then my milk dried up to early
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Nourishing your baby should be #1 priority. Eat healthy for you, and your baby will reap the benefits for a lifetime. Eating fat doesn't make you fat. If that were true, we could go on a diet of Twizzlers and Diet Coke and we'd all be supermodels. Healthy fats: olive oil, butter, coconut oil, nuts, cheese, avocado. Consume a healthy fat at the start of every meal as it helps regulate your insulin released. Avoid processed foods, caffeine. Sugar is lurking everwhere - breads, pastas, condiments, cereals. Make an adjustment to avoid foods that have any form of sugar in the first 5 ingredients (corn syrup, honey, molasses, sucrose, etc.) Figure out the sugars you are consuming by taking the total carbs, subtract the fiber and divide by four. That will give you the number of teaspoons of sugar in that serving. You'll be shocked how much you are really consuming!
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 9:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009