Night time feedings

My son is 9 weeks old and weighs thirteen pounds. He seems like he is starting to go longer periods between bottles and not taking in as much except at night. Before bed he will eat anywhere between 5-7 ounces. he will usually sleep between four and five hours and then wake up and eat another five. Is there a way to get him to want to eat in the daytime rather than waking up at night to eat???? Should i start lowering his middle of the night feeding gradually, or try to cut it out? He only wakes up at night to eat and then goes right back to sleep. Anyone else ever experience this?

Mgirly84

Asked by Mgirly84 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not believe so! I am not 100% though! I nursed both my children until 12 months. He is only 9 weeks old. Could be differant with formula.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• This sounds perfectly normal. He is only 9 weeks old! Sounds to me like he's on a good schedule (I know you'd prefer it if he was sleeping through the night). I breastfed, though. Ask your doctor at your next visit when you can drop nighttime feedings. It's normal for them to continue to need to eat at night through 6 months.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Wow! Your nine week old sleeps better than my 14 month old!!! lmao I breastfeed too though, so Im not positive about how formula fed babies sleep.

It is perfectly normal for him to want food. Im not sure of the exact age they stop needing food at night, but I know that you're a ways away from it! Keep in mind that sleeping through the night is considered 5 hours of consecutive sleep.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• nope, there's no way around it. babies have to eat at night, especially a baby that age.
    in fact going 5 hours is pretty amazing.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sleep.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• That is exactly what my 9 week old does but Im thrilled with it, Its alot better than the every 1-2 hours in the beginning. Im not going to do anything, I figure hell drop the feeding when hes ready!! Hopefully ( :
    newmommyrn

Answer by newmommyrn at 4:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009