Stay at home moms I need your help!!

I have a 6 month old daughter and I don't really know what to do with her when she's up i put her on the floor to play with toys and i talk & sing to her...but that's all i do...I don't wanna be a boring or bad parent. What else can i do to motivate me and be able to teach and just have fun with my daughter..

nicole0709442

Asked by nicole0709442 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly, you will be doing her and yourself a big favor if you allow her to learn how to entertain herself. When my children were little, I kept them in the room with me where they could see me and I could talk to them and see to them, but I had things I had to get done. I raised three very well adjusted adults. I think the playing with the children thing today is overdone.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You can read to her. If it's not too cold, take her for a walk or maybe to the mall.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Your doing exactly what a 6month old needs. They learn through their toys and their interactions with you. They don't need a lot of extra stuff... Sing, read, talk, show her the world, let her see what you do everyday (cleaning, cooking, reading, showering, etc). Everything is still new to her so NOTHING is boring to an infant. Learn to read her cues so that you know when she is over stimulated, just like you she needs down time too... Make sure to give her that. Independent play is good too. You are a great mom and just keep doing what you are doing :)
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i agree with both of the posters. she needs her time, and she needs mommy time. put her on the floor with her toys. put some music on for her. put in a baby einstein now and then. or if shes in her bed and being quiet, just let her lay in her bed and be by herself. YOU need this as much as she does. trust me (i have 4, ages 11-1) in a few months you will want a baby who can entertain themselves for a little bit. i think it builds self confidence in them because they are not 100% dependant on what mommy is doing for them all the time. but DO spend time with her. reading is a great thing to do at any age!
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my DDs 7 mo & i do exactly the same things as you! you can only do so much & they can only handle so much! one thing thats really been a lifesaver is an exosaucer. its just a bouncy seat with toys all around it. my DD loves it! like the PPs said make sure she gets some down time. my DD will lay in bed for about an hour everyday if we have no other plans. she just lays there watching her mobile. sometimes i think i should just lay down for an hour every day too haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I absolutely agree with NannyB. Raise a kid who's comfortable with themselves and doesn't require entertainment 24/7.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009