Kid only birthday party?

My oldest will turn 5 in Feb. I'm thinking that since Christmas was just a bit ago, and my twins turned 4 on Christmas eve, that I will just have a kid only party for my oldest. My reason being is I feel uncomfortable inviting my family, who just bought a bunch of toys last month. I don't want them to feel obligated to spend the money, once again.

I also have a problem with my MIL. She hordes the attention of my kids, and I want them to learn manners, and to pay attention to guests at the party. When she's around, they don't pay attention to anyone but her, and she doesn't discourage it.

Any advise? And how do I not invite my MIL, or what can I say to her that will not hurt her feelings, but will get the point across.

my4lads

Asked by my4lads at 3:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just dont mention it to her until it's over. "Oh, yeah we had Davie's party last Saturday and he had a great time with all his friends." Yanno?
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 3:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It's not unusual for parents to have parties for just a few classmates from school and take them to McDonalds, bowling etc...so I don't see the big deal. There is no obligation for you to have a party for family as well.

Do what you feel comfortable with.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If its going to cause you problems, have a small family get together on another day. Let every one know its cake and ice cream only, no presents required. My twins were born in December also and that's what I tell my family.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009