Do you think I'm crazy?

I like being a homemaker. I don't work. Not yet anyway. My sons are 11 and 8. I really don't have to work now. My husband doesn't pressure me either. We do o.k. If you're like me and a friend you worked with keeps asking you, When are you going back to work? What would you say? Some people think Homemakers are lazy. I'm not. Why go and work if I don't have to right now. I mean schools aren't even hiring right now. And to get a regular job who'll watch my children when they have their time off and I would have to work? I have knowone. I don't judge other women. I admire women who work and are moms because they do a lot.

elainecat

Asked by elainecat at 3:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm getting the same thing myself too.
    Anonymous

• Nope not crazy...your children still need you. I always wanted to be home when my kids got off the bus. I did not turn out that way...The hell to what others say or think...if you are happy, your hubby is happy........to hell with them.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Well, i guess it would depend on what you do all day while your kids are at school. What does your friend think you do? If you clean, do your grocery shopping, errands, bills, laundry, tell your friend so, and tell her to shut the hell up. Some homemakers have a lot of house chores. I personally work full time, but when i am off during the week , i am constantly doing thing for my hubby. We live on a ranch, and i run to the feed store, take animals to the vet, make appoints ment for people to come see the stock, go out with him evaluating the animals and keeping records of them. Practically more than i do at work. Now , if you sit there and watch oprah and dr.phill all day, that is another story. But i doubt you do that
    Anonymous

• If you don't want to go back to work & don't have to, tell her to stop asking you. I wish i could be a homemaker, I'd tell her to bug off.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 3:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think raising your kids & being there for them is the best & most important job. I hope to be able to be a SAHM until my kids are through school. For nosy people that think you don't do anything, just tell them whatever you feel comfortable with.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 3:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Just flat out tell her "I'm not planning on going back to work!" If it becomes a conversation, then tell her the kids have all kinds of activiities and doctors appt's and you would end up fired anyways for all the time you would need off. That's what I say and it is true!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• no one askes me that but work if you want to you kids always need you no matter what the age just in diffrent ways
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 4:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It's so sad that many people in today's society believe when your a homemaker you just sit in a lazy boy chair eating bon bons all day like Peg Bundy from that old TV show. It doesn't matter how old your kids are, if you love what you do then keep going and ignore what others say
    Jennielee_1975

Answer by Jennielee_1975 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It's your job and if they keep asking tell them you're happy with your life now and this is your plan so stop asking about it. I think it's rude if people ask it over and over as if they think it's unacceptable to be a SAHM that long. I'm sure you'll go back whenever you're ready and that's what they should know.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I admire those women of you who get to stay home. I tried it for a while but it wasn't the thing for me.
    I like money and lots of it. My Husband makes good money but I wasn't able to shop the way I wanted to. Budgeting has never been my thing. I would have to wait until the bills were paid and then get what I wanted then. Oh hell no.
    I like to shop way to much for that. Sometimes it wasn't much left over so I went back to work and now we are doing pretty good. Hubby hates it but to bad.
    Anonymous