I really want to breast feed this time around.what should I eat and/or drink to increase milk production

Desh

Asked by Desh at 3:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• caraway seed fenugreek and you can feed the baby more often or when they take their long nap pump at least once try to pum three times a day for around 10 min.
    http://breastfeedingbasics.com/html/increasing.shtml
    that link helped me with my children and breastfeeding
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 3:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have heard of using fenugreek but I never tired it. I just drank LOTS AND LOTS of water and at the begining pumped in between nursings. And if the babys normal feeding schedule was 12, 3, 6, 9, 12 I would always make sure to either nurse or pump at those times. Yes my baby would want to eat in between sometimes and I would let them nurse or give him a bottle. I felt like a human milk machine for over a year but it was sooooo worth it to me.
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• On demand nursing should work just fine. Your body will make what your baby needs--supply & demand. Your milk is easy to digest so a newborn might nurse every hour or 2, so don't think you're not making enough--they just get hungry because their body doesn't have to work so hard. No supplementing/pacifiers or pumping until your milk supply is established-around 3 weeks. If you do need to increase your supply, stay hydrated, eat oatmeal, fenugreek, stay relaxed.
    Anonymous