cheerios!?

I have heard babys cant choke on cheerios...is this true? my 6 month olds diet has been advanced from the get go, we started cereal @ 6 weeks old and are now dabbling in stage 3 food, bitter bisquits and some big people food(mashed potatoes ect.) can i give my eager eater cheerios, she would love them?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• WOW! I don't know how my 15 year old made it so long with no food allergies, no reactions to ANY foods since 'back then' when he was a baby the pediatricians encouraged a varied diet and totally on big people food by 1 year!
    OP I agree that babies can choke on anything, but think that cheerios are safe and a good next step, better than those Gerber over priced puffs!
    Anonymous

• wow.. thats REALLLYY early. i hope her digestion system is good to go since it was forced to so early. good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Why in the world did you do that?
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt give them to her at all. how old is she exactly??
    she is only eager because she was introduced to them its not that SHE is eager, she didnt even know food like this existed until you introduced her to it. she is a baby she doesnt know there are cheerios out there... just wait
    Anonymous

• Another adult that will be struggling with obesity. Shame!
    Anonymous

• I think you should wait a little longer for cheerios. But Gerber makes these little star puff things that are even yummier than cheerios and they melt in the baby's mouth. They also have tons of different flavors. But check how old they should be before you give it to her. Cause my son is 2 now so I can't remember how old he was when I gave them to him.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Kids can choke on anything... even Gerber Puffs. You know your baby, so I am sure you would never do anything to harm her on purpose. I agree with a PP in that she is just excited because it is something new. I would keep an eye on her and if she hasn't had all the fruits and veggies as well as different types of cereal then I would be very careful.
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Uhm, my kid started soft ''solids'' at 1 1/2 months.. what's the big deal?

I'd try cheerios.. or start maybe with the Gerber Puffs.. my daughter loved those. Good luck!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Oh my goodness! She is to young to be eating anything buy baby food, why did you introduce to big people food... A baby that age, should never be eating big people food, big mess up on your part! They can choke on anything so fast and C.P.R. on a baby is not easy!
    Anonymous

• Ok, I'm sure the OP didn't post so she could be judged by the other moms on here. She's asking a question specific to cheerios, and if you're not answering the question, why post? Your opinions on when to start solid food aside, it's not your child, and you don't have any right to judge and criticize. So lighten up please.

To the OP: Consult your pediatrician. They are *qualified* to give you an answer because they will be familiar with your child, and how developed (or not) the child's digestive system would be.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2009