Fussy after feeding?

My 2.5 week old seems to get uncomfortable after BFing. We've used gas drops, but I'm not sure she has gas every time. She does seem to have BM's after eating and is subsequently calmed. However, this isn't every time. It just seems that my husband and I can't to anything to make her happy. I just want to make sure this is normal.

Sofiesmom08

Asked by Sofiesmom08 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• id say air bubbles maybe she needs to be burped better or maybe shes still hungry.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• this is just my story, not every baby is the same. but my son from birth on was never happy. he would fuss at eating and then cry himself to sleep. maybe sleep and hour and wake up crying so we thought he was hungry, but he didn't like to eat. this went on for like 6 months. and we did EVERYTHING. gas drops, gripe water, teething tablets and tried every formula we could think of. finally i heard from my sister (who is a nurse) who's friends baby had to be put on "baby zantac" because he had acid reflux. the first night on this stuff my son slept for 8 hr straight! the doctor we were going to refused to give it to him b/c he was above weight and not losing weight. though she wasn't losing sleep like i was. we switched doctors and our life has been better for it.
    your situation might be different, i just wanted to share my story. start with burping more etc.. and see if that will solve your problem.
    good luck
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 3:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• with acid reflux though the baby would be spitting up a lot.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• When my two year old was a baby, she was the same way. I made sure that I burped her often, and also I would rotate her legs. Lay the baby on her back, and move her legs as if she were riding a bicycle. The movement helps to relieve pressure off of the stomach. It worked for me almost every time after that. It is worth a shot.
    torilee_03

Answer by torilee_03 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'd ask your doctor about it, but don't worry too much. Everything is still new for all of you, and she has a limited number of reactions she can give right now. What seems unpopular with her might not actually be that bad, she just can't do anything else!

For the first couple of weeks, my son pooped almost every time I fed him. It was like he needed to get the next round coming in before he could let any of it out, lol. Babies are so goofy! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• sometimes when my son was extra fussy at meal times i would just burp him half way through each side and then again at the very end. and gripe water really worked wonders for him, just the taste of it would calm him down.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009