When and how should you start potty training?

Most of the information I find about potty training is for 2 and 3 year olds. Can you start too early? My 15 mo. old now responds to questions like, "are you ready for night night," follows through with the request and heads to the bedroom (and actually goes to sleep!) Is she ready for potty training and how do you start?

embronte

Asked by embronte at 3:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes you can start too soon and they will regress. Wait till they give you the signs like letting you know when they messed the diaper, taking it off and feeling yucky in it.

Anonymous

• do you let her go in the bathroom when you go? my daughter wants to do everything i do and be "mommy". we got her a little potty and one day she just went all by herself! we actually didn't know until she started yelling for us that she was done LOL
    but to answer your question, yes you can start to early. if they're not ready they will feel like they have failed and, from what i've heard, this can cause problems down the road. you want them to be ready. so you can try getting a little potty and if they seem interested i say go for it! if not, dont force the issue.
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 3:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have been a nanny for 20 years and I believe 100% in toilet learning earlier, rather than later. I have two children, both boys, and they were out of diapers in 7-10 days at 19 months old. There was no regression because I never used any kind of training pants, which confuse them. I also know from experience that toddlers over age two become increasingly stubborn, willful, controlling, and also develop many new fears. This makes it much more difficult to teach them at 2-3 years of age. I have successfully trained over 20 children using my method, which is similar to the 3-day method ebook. It really works.
    Anonymous