What do you do about constant whinning?

My son is constantly whinning unless he is being held. What do you suggest to get him to be a bit more independent? He is 13 months. While I love to play with him, I would like him to play alone sometimes. I can't even use the bathroom without him crying!

Asked by NoahsMommy587 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just lay him down and let him cry it will work!i know you will feel bad but if you just let him go he will understand that i can do stuf with and without mommy!i had to go threw it with my 3 yr old!

Answer by kaitbowk95 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Get his ears checked by an ENT..make sure they are not filled with fluid or anything..sometimes babies whine for that reason but there is no sign of infection

Answer by NatesNona at 2:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Are you a stay at home mom? If so maybe some play dates to help him get more independence? I would be more than happy to let Shaw loose on him LOL

Answer by KimmyShaw at 2:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I'm having the same problem with my 2yr old daughter. The advice people give me is to just let her cry and don't pick her up. But thats hard for me to do since I don't like to see her cry.

Answer by sweetj at 2:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I ignore the crying. My son throws a fit, I tell him to stop and I walk away. And I don't acknowledge him until he does stop. And sometimes if its over something he can have, but he's whining for it, I tell him once he stops he can have it. He whines more around grandpa because grandpa doesn't know the meaning of the word its hard sometimes on me and my mom because of that, but he learns. You son will learn, he's still that age, I wasn't away from my son for more then a few minutes, let alone him playing on his own.

Answer by StarsChildren at 9:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I tell DD that she has to use words not cry and she listens and tries to say what her problem is 95% of the time...try not to respond to the whining.

Answer by NattysMommy at 11:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009