how to help my 2 1/2 yr old son sleep in his new big boy bed.

he fights going to sleep and does not stay asleep. today he's been up since 1am, and woundnt take a nap even though he looked like he is about to fall over hes so tired. i'm 7 mos pregnant, i need sleep. his dresser is being removed from his room as i found him on top of it at 4am and naked. he just started the climbing thing. he's only been in his big boy bed for 5 days. w/the climbing thing i cant put him back in his crib. we have a 3foot gate in his doorway that he has not figured out yet.

amys2boys

Asked by amys2boys at 3:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i know some moms will totally disagree with me but here goes. my kids rooms have babylocks on the inside handles so they cant get out. and the only thing in my 2yr old sons room is his bed. we tried putting his dresser in with him, but like you, he was up all night playing with the drawers! it might be ruff, but he will eventually go to sleep (even if it's on the floor a few nights). luckily we didn't have this problem as he always goes to sleep in his bed. but i have gone in a few times and pushed his body with the door. I am always aware of when they need me. my kids knock or kick (my ds thinks it's funny) to let me know they are up.
    i'm sorry if anyone if offended by my doing this, but it is what's best for our family
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 3:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• let me also add, so I dont seem like a totally cold hearted mom, that when my 22 month old son is having a really bad night I will go in a lay with him until he goes to sleep. he has a full size bed on the floor so we either lay with him or on the floor next to the bed just so he knows we are there.
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 4:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I put my son in bed. Shut the door. I hear him move, go in and tell him in a stern voice "get back in bed" if he tells me no, I put him there. Repeat. Until they're sleeping. Sometimes a "lovey" (my sons bunny for example) will help. Ask him if he wants to bring a "friend" to bed. Maybe one or two toys/stuffed animals. Bringing comfort to a new situation. I let my son watch t.v. (a kids movie) sometimes. Its really vigilance.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2009