Hoping I dont get yelled at for this but...

Am I the only one who thinks that this new law for testing for lead in children's items is a good thing? I think it's about time we did something to stand up for our kids health. Lead is such a harmful thing to children especially, why should we NOT have higher standards and hold people to them? National surveys estimate that more than 3 million children 6 years of age and younger have lead poisoning. That information comes from http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hblead.htm. Lead poisoning can cause anything from learning disabilities, mental or physical handicaps, headaches, behavioral problems, coma and even death. I say let's start protecting our kids and try to find alternative ways to get SAFE inexpensive kids clothes. I'd rather spend more and be safe than spend less and be sorry. My opinion only, feel free to voice yours here.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Shopping

• Why are they using lead based products in our childrens items anyway? Hell why are they using it in any item a human would use?
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No one will yell at you, but I don't think you are understanding the full scale impact of this.. It does not just mean used stuff.. It means new stuff as well. Small companies cannot afford to pay for testing and certification so they will go under. You will see a LARGE decrease in all items for children 12 and under... because no one can afford to test it. It also means TONS OF ITEMS thrown in the landfill because it is "not safe".. cannot give it away, cannot sell it. LOTS OF WASTE FOR AMERICANS AGAIN! It will drastically affect out economy... Are you going to drive to the big cities to get kids stuff... because the small areas cannot carry it.
    Anonymous

• yeah it good to test the toys nobody saying that it isnt the problem is not being able to buy them second hand
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The problem isn't setting a higher standard, I think most moms are glad something is being done about our children being exposed to harmful materials, but our government is going the wrong way about it. The law is punishing small businesses and individuals for the mistakes that big businesses make. The people that should be punished are the ones actually using harmful materials and THEY should be the ones that have to prove they're not using crappy materials. Not some small resale shop or someone trying to make some side money.
    At the very least, there needs to be a small business clause to give exception to the small stores that really keep our economy going (a "good paying" job doesn't make up for having to pay ridiculous prices for what you need).
    redlily08

Answer by redlily08 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• OP--
    I do understand that it is going to reduce the selection we have available for our kids, and that it will affect the new items too, and that we won't be able to sell anything we have had from before Feb 10. I agree MOST with the part of testing new items actually even though it will reduce our selections. I think as far as the old stuff goes, it would be best if they could just let people sell it with the stipulation that it may or may not contain lead. Kind of a purchase at your own risk type of thing. They may not do that, and we may end up having to throw our old stuff away when we get done with it, and it does create alot of waste. But this is a one-time thing in my opinion because after Feb 10th we wont have to worry about lead and pthalates and we will be able to sell anything we want if its made after Feb 10.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• There are different lead testing kits that you can purchase to test the surfaces of different items in your household. If you are concerned about a product containing lead then you are able to purchase these test kits (some for as little as $5) and test those products. I'm all for newly manufactured items to have a high standard in the way that the companies are testing for elad, but I am totally against this new law that will make even the sale of used items illegal. A lot of my daughter's clothing is hand-me-downs or were purchased at consignment shops. This new law will restrict even the donation of used items to charity. How is that going to help us out in the long run?
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 4:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Every one is entitled to their own opinion and I don't think that anybody should yell at you or bash you for yours. Respectfully everyone should say their opinion. My opinion is that there should be an inexpensive way to do this. I feel terrible for the people that can only afford to shop at the second hand stores. I do have a friend that does ONLY shop at second hand stores and she is very worried about this and just doesn't know what she is going to do....I do think this is a problem that just shouldn't be to begin with.  Why isn't there stronger standards when the clothes and toys are being made?

Anonymous

• The other issue I have is... what happens to all the clothes/toys/etc made on February 9th? Will those items be thrown away? Sold at 99% off just to clear it off the shelves? It is so wasteful and in the long run it is going to make it harder on working families just to be able to get by.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 4:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009