• In the Spotlight:

Why is it that you can't use the latch system and the seat belt together?

Honestly that is the only way we can get the seat to stay sturdy in our van and I was wondering if I was doing something horrible and life threatening. Thanks for your help!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 8:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Travel

• I think, not sure, but I think it has something to to with it being too secure? Like it has to give a little. Or because the seats haven't been tested? I'll double check.

Anyway, the best way to get a great car seat fit, take it to the fire station. They do everything possible to get it in securely and they do it all the time. I am always very confident about the way Sara's seat is installed. I use the Lealman FD.
    badpenny74

Answer by badpenny74 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have had mine installed by our local PD at times. They are trained to install car seats correctly. If you are using the LATCH system properly, the seat shouldn't budge. I've put my own body weight in the seat when tightening the LATCH belts. Using the rear tether helps too.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 9:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• The seat is only crash tested with one or the other not BOTH. It causes too much stress on the belts if you use them at the same time. It could actually cause the seat to malfunction if you were to get into an accident.
    rina16

Answer by rina16 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2008