To potty chair or not to potty chair...?

I'm a new mother and have realized that some of my expectations and desires fall short to actuality, but I loath the potty chair. It seems unrealistic to a mother (and child) on the go because they're aren't any pint size potties in public bathrooms and most of the models I've looked at look like toys - I would rather not have my toddler wanting to play with something she defecates on.

I bought a seat adapter for our "big girl" potty and now carry a portable one in the diaper bag. We make potty time fun by reading books while waiting for results (even in public restrooms). Do you really need a potty chair? Are there any Moms out their that made it without one? - Please advise!

embronte

Asked by embronte at 3:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with that and that is what DH and I are going to do, we dont want DD to get used to the small potty and not go on a big one
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Some toddlers are afraid of the height, some are afraid of falling in. So, no. You don"t have to get a potty chair but if your child WON'T use the big potty or cries in fear at the thought, what do you do?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Fortunately, because potty time is fun reading time. She loves to sit on the 'big girl" potty. The converter seat we bought is just right and holds her snug so she doesn't have to hold on and can participate in our 'peek-a-boo' books. We haven't seen any fear as of yet so (fingers) crossed we won't. At this point, however, we aren't very successful at the "results" part, but I guess wanting to sit on the potty is a start right?

Any advice on getting the "results" part going?
    embronte

Answer by embronte at 4:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Heck! She'll sit there! Mine wouldn't for the longest time.

To jump start things, see if you can turn up the heat and let her run around without pants for a few days. Watch her close and when she starts to pee, say "Oh Boy! You're peeing! Let's get you to the potty!" and whisk her off to the potty. Seeing the pee and hearing you will help make that connection in her mind of "that feeling" means pee.
    And yes, it can be messy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• While I hate cleaning out the potty chair, I love having it. My two year old boy can go to the potty and take care of his "business" and I don't have to put him on or off it. When we go out, he uses the big potty and we haven't had any problems transitioning between the two.
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 4:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I do not want my toddler near a public toilet. I have a potty that fits in the stroller basket.  If we have to use a public restroom, I take the stroller into the handicap stall and put the potty in the stroller.  Usually, it is kept in the car and he uses it in the cargo/trunk area.  It's always pee when we're out, so I keep a plastic bag with paper towels, Purell, and baby wipes to clean it out.  No big deal and it's much easier than changing diapers.   Here is a link to the potty we use on the go:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=74940&catid=26983

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 5:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Here is the potty we use at home:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=146760&catid=26983

Benefits:

~I know exactly how much he goes (this varies greatly, and helps me know what to expect)

~More indepence

~No dealing with toilet fears (which can develop anytime)

~More convenient at home or on the go

~One slip and fall off the toilet can be a major setback to the teaching process

DeTora_Family