Do You Understand the Impact of This?

This new law will not just affect USED stuff, but new stuff as well. The smaller companies cannot afford to pay for testing and certification, because, well it's too expensive, so they will go under. Therefore, most stores will not carry as much children's stuff as they used to... That means LOTS of wasted product and you have to drive further to get the stuff you used to get at Walmart. This is serious folks. We already have too much crap in landfills, now we will have perfectly good items thrown in there because we cannot sell it, nor give it away... No garage sales... The items you need for your kids are going to be in LARGE demand and harder to get... Do you get it now???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, it will impact us all, in more ways than we know right now. I think some people just don't get it and won't until it impacts them and then they will be asking.. why? Seriously I don't think even the big stores can keep up with the testing and costs... We might all be in for some serious issues.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They slid this through when everyone was distracted by the election. I think that was REALLY underhanded and I told my congressmen that I thought so!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Oh tis is very bad. Now I don't normally shop at second hand stores, because there aren't that many good ones by me. But I know ALOT of people do and this will hurt them very much. Like momof030404 said it was very sneaky and definately not an accident.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• no one was trying to be sneaky in regards to this bill and it wasn't designed to target secondhand clothing stores.
    it's purpose is to protect our children from acquiring contaminated clothing and/or toys!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think they attached it to another piece of legislation and that's how it got through.
    Anonymous

• I'm just so confused!
    Do you want lead in your kid's toys or not? Let's make up our minds people!
    Anonymous

• That's what you get for having the democrats in control. You all were warned. It has gotten crazy everywhere. Their crazy new laws. Like charging you per mile you drive. From extra taxes in NY . Extra 10 a gal for gas goes to taxes.

Anonymous

• While I agree that Congress was just doing what the people seemed to want, ANYONE can make a mistake, even when it is over 400 "anyones". This law was a knee-jerk reaction and was badly thought out. I see no problem with telling my Congressmen that they screwed up and need to take steps to fix it.

Look at it this way - when they vote themselves pay raises or vote for some pork project, are the REALLY doing what we want? Should we just roll over and say "oh well, we voted for these bozos so we have to accept whatever they do"? Of course not. If you don't like it, tell them so! Don't know how to tell them what you think? Go to www.VoteSmart.org and put in your zip code. It will tell you who to contact.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Here is the adobe form of the law... many smaller co.'s are already getting ready to close their doors bc of this new law and more hardships on families who can not afford to buy new clothes all the time will be affected when the smaller re-sale stores have to close their doors or stop helping the children within their own community...

(pdf 

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes people, thank your congress. Just like the EFCA that got a 10:30 PM vote, after many of the opposition had already left. That too was attached to another piece of crap legislation and floated through. Be looking for your local unions and make sure to thank Obama after he signs it (which he has promised to do).

Anonymous