Thinking about castor oil.

I am getting some what reg. contractions. I just had appt. earlier and he said not long, at that point I was not getting contractions. But, they are not strong. I am basically 4cm, 75% effaced and at zero station. I am thinking about trying castor oil, not sure if I'll get the nerve. Others that have tried it, how did you take it. Mixed with juice, ice cream or how? The DR. says the baby is good and healthy and I am good to go at anytime. So I know people kinda bash it, and to tell you the truth I am not sure I will do it, but curious how other managed to get the stuff down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 5 did it under the supervision of my midwives and an OB , it worked .
    Anonymous

• Everything I have ever heard about castor oil is don't do it. It can cause the baby to poop inside you which can cause fetal distress and infections after birth. Just be patient mama and let baby come on it's own time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My girlfriend did it and all she got was the craps and cramps.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I did it, I just took a gulp!! Gross! The only thing I got out of it was a horrible case of diahrea. I don't think it is worth it. I would recommend walking, nipple stimulation, or sex, much more enjoyable ways to bring on labor.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• at this point id say dont do it all thats going to happen is ur likely to get the runs and your baby may take a poop in your uterus still and thats bad. Id say go take a nice walk at your local mall or some where to get some walking in if your 4cm labor is bound to pick up here soon. walking is the best thing to do.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have heard from VERY few people that it worked successfully. Most of them ended up miserable, and still didn't induce labor! I didn't use castor oil, but I tried many other home remedies and ended up exhausting myself. Labor DID start, but I'm not convinced it was because of anything I did (I think it was just time), plus I'd spent my weekend working hard to get baby to come and started labor JUST as I had got into bed to sleep. I had way less energy to labor with than I would have had otherwise and think I had a much harder time because of it.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Try some raspberry leaf tea. It actually has been proven to bring on contractions, but I'm not sure why. Don't do the castor oil thing. It will give you diarrhea and make you dehydrated, which can make labor more difficult.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• didnt work one bit for me, and mixing it with or trying to anyways doesn't work. i tried to mix it with orange juice and it doesn't mix it just sat on the top ewwww i cant believe i drank that crap for nothing...... yucky!
    mamad86

Answer by mamad86 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• A friend of mine did it and all that she got was diarreah and stomach cramps. Some people find that it worked for them, but I think they are the minority. Since you are already dilating, I would recommend doing a lot of walking, drinking plenty of water, and maybe using a birthing ball to bring the baby down.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 4:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• ive heard both things it worked for my mother in law, it didnt work for me. i took it at night so that if it did upset my stomach i would be home but it didnt. it also didnt make me have a baby! but if you're gonna try it mix it with something you dont like so that it doesnt spoil a drink you do like for you in the future! i mixed mine with grapefruit juice. it was gross haha.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009