Did you see all the lists of stores closing?

It keeps growing bigger by the moment. I see an all out scare coming soon. Stores are closing, kids clothing and toys are going to disappear off shelves... I don't know where all these people are going to shop. I heard they are taking toys, clothes, diapers, stroller, bikes, car seats, school supplies, backpacks, shoes, blankets.. Aren't you scared you won't be able to find products for your kids by next month?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's big... Very sad indeed. The economic issues are widespread. I don't think anyone realizes how it's going to impact us down the road. We are in for some serious awakenings, I am afraid.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Makes me wonder if this is a way to scare us into spending money on stuff we don't need right now. If you are saving money, you are accused of holding onto it and not helping the economy. This would be an interesting way for government to scare you into parting with some of your greens.
    Anonymous

• An interesting perspective Anon 4:19.  I would not be surprised if that is what is behind all this.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My favorite toy when I was growing up were  

cm08

Answer by cm08 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• where was this list?Do you have the link?
    Anonymous

• The employment and tax ramifications of this legislation would be bad for business AND government. If they aren't employing people to work at thrift shops, then they aren't paying employment taxes, social security, state taxes (for some), etc. That means less money for state and federal governments and more people on welfare. This simply can't work. Besides, isn't government supposed to make sure that stuff isn't contaminated BEFORE it comes across our borders? It should be a guideline for new products, not used.
    Anonymous

• I'd like a link too... can you send one to me?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Here is the adobe form of the law... many smaller co.'s are already getting to close their doors bc of this new law and more hardships on families who can not afford to buy new clothes all the time will be affected when the smaller re-sale stores have to close their doors or stop helping the children within their own community... And as far as the law reads it's pertains to anything to do with a child 12 yrs and younger...

(pdf

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sooooo, AGAIN, I wonder, what WILL "The One" do about "Main Street?" Like others have said this will affect middle America the most...do you think he'll block the implementation of this law, or let it proceed as scheduled...he will, of course, have 3 weeks to stall it once he's sworn in. Let's just see how much he REALLY cares about you and me...beyond getting YOUR vote (cause he sure as Hell didn't get mine)!

Let the countdown to "buyers remorse" BEGIN!!!!
    Anonymous

• Oh, I loved playing jacks!! Sorry, off topic. Today, it was Goody's and Macy's... There are Starbuck stores, well here is the list http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/storeclosings.asp
    Anonymous