Is my eight month old baby sleeping too much?

She sleeps about 12 hours per night then wakes up to drink a bottle and is back in bed within the hour to sleep for another hour. Then she wakes up and eats breakfast lets me shower and bathe her and then goes back to bed for another hour. And this proceeds throughout the day. She is barely ever awake for even two hours during the day. She sleeps all the time. It's not a recent thing either, liek ti would be growth spurt, it's been this way for at least two months. HELP!

nicholeluvslucy

Asked by nicholeluvslucy at 4:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell your doctor about it. As long as she's eating ok and is relatively happy, I wouldn't worry too much...but this may be something your doctor wants to keep an eye on. I recommend getting a notepad and a clock and keeping it where your baby is. For a couple days, write the time she goes to sleep and wakes up, each time. Doctors like when you can back up what you're telling them, otherwise it's hard to take you seriously. So many people say the "She's eating all the time!" thing, but when they actually time it out it's not that much...same deal with sleeping. Doing a little homework first will help you get through to your doctor that much quicker. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my DD is 7mo & is the exact same way! she sleeps from 7am-8pm, eats, falls asleep for another hour or 2, & takes 2 hour long naps thruout the day. and our pedi always tells us she is the healthiest baby hes seen all week. just ask your pedi about it at her next checkup.

i guess we are just really lucky!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My son is on a similar schedule and he is 10 weeks old. He goes down for the night between 7 and 8 and he will wake up to eat three times during the night but then he goes right back down to sleep. At his first morning feeding, usually between 5 and 6, he will stay awake after he eats for 30 minutes to an hour an then get fussy and go back to sleep for anywhere between 30 minutes to two hours. This pattern continues all day with him being up for an hour at a time an then going back to sleep. On the days where he does not nap constantly he is horribly cranky and fussy all day. We just had our 2 month check up and I asked the pedi about this and she said he is perfectly fine and doing great! So no worries. In my mind many naps equals a happy baby.
    NewMommyLoni

Answer by NewMommyLoni at 11:52 AM on Jan. 11, 2009