How many of you moms are or were full time college students with kids at home?

I am. I took 16 hrs last semester and am taking 17 hours next semester. I am just curious to see how many others are going to school and raising a family. Do you think it is more or less difficult to do with children? And what is your major? I am a Math Major. I want to teach high school math.

Jazak

Asked by Jazak at 4:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm full-time. I attempted 17 units (hours) last semester and wound up dropping a class so I went down to 12. I just couldn't take the workload. In a way its harder because of scheduling issues, but at the same time I'm more motivated so it makes it seem easier. I only have so many hours in a day to get everything done, and it normally helps me focus so I get my work done. I start the spring semester in a few days, and will be taking 12 units again. If I were working, too, I'd think it was impossible for me to attempt that many.

I'm majoring in registered nursing and still have about 3.5 years left.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was and I am working on getting back into school. I took just the 12 hours to be a full time student and then went to work. It was hard!! I missed my son a lot to. He is 2 now and my hubby and I just got married so I have to redo all of the financial aid and all of that good stuff and find a college that I can do it all online so I can still stay home with my son. I am an early childhood education major with special ed.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am a full time college student. I am in Liberal Arts because I am not sure what I want to do... I think its harder than it was before I had her, BUT I got my best grades the semester after having her. Maybe I am just more motivated to do well because it is for her now ? I miss her alot when I go, but I work with children in the day, so having my night classes is kind of my time to spend with adults and I enjoy it.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am a full time college student, wife, mom of two, and childcare provider. I babysit kids during the day and go to class at night. I love it. I can be with my boys all day but still get adult interaction at night. It is a lot harder because I have to find time to do homework and most of the time it's early in the morning or late at night. I am doing it to give my kids and family a better life though. It's worth it in the end. I miss my boys a lot when i'm in class though.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 5:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am a full time student. Working on my fourth semester now. My major is social work=D I did 12 credit hours the first two semesters and 16 this last one and 12 again this time. I think it'z easier, b/c i know what i want to do now and I am motivated to be a good role model for my three daughters (we do homework together and they can be mommy and whateva else they wanna be!) GOOD LUCK WITH UR SCHOOLING!!!!
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I could never handle more than 12 credits but I had 4 children, ages infant to 5 when I graduated. It was difficult at times but I did it! At that time In was just going for my AA degree. No major. Now I'm working on an education degree. I have almost 6 kids and while it's not difficult I'm finding it hard during this pregnancy for some reason.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I got my degree in Psycology after attending full time classes as a single mother...it was hard (time management) but I wanted it so much more than before she was born...that the work seemed easier. I am now a mother of 3 and back in school working towards a masters in Photography...this time it's super hard....photo is VERY time consuming and so are my girls...especially my 9 month old twins! At least this time my hubby is supporting the family, so I am not working full time ontop of kids and school
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 5:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• As an adult student, I went to back to school on an accelerated program - a full semester's worth of work condensed into a 5-week timeframe per class. Sounds tough but it was a breeze (I went back to college when my oldest turned 5); don't think I could have handled that intense of a workload when I first went off to college at 18, nor could I have handled the traditional courses as an adult (would have been way too slow and boring). Had my degree in no time, about 20 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i am a full time student at cecil college i am takeing 13 credit hours
    noey31308

Answer by noey31308 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009