feeding/cord stump question ...

updated :: wen i feed my daughter (2 wks) she spits most of it right back out as shes drinking,i kno the nipples are slow flow,i tested it myself (lol -- we bottle feed!! and also its formula!!) and sucked sooo hard i got a headache!!but i noticed wen its spit back out it looks more like mucus (she does have stuffy nose) ... and i was changing her last nite and i noticed theres a yellowish color on her diaper from her cord stump & it kinda smells ... wats that mean? ... i called the dr , waiting for them to return the call

tha-hawt-mommie

Asked by tha-hawt-mommie at 4:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The stump may be infected...it's normal for it to change colors, but if it's leaving a liquid on the diaper your doctor may want to check it.

The spit up sounds normal. Typically the stuff they spit out is more saliva and mucus than it is food...that's why it may often seem like she's spitting up MORE than she's eaten. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Oh, and the stump smell? THAT'S normal, freaked me out coming home, though! I could smell something nasty and couldn't figure it out. Was it the carseat? Had he pooped? Was something rotting in our car? I discovered later that night that it was indeed coming from the belly button. Dying skin wouldn't be expected to smell good though, right? It was just NOT something I was expecting, lol.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• lol omg i took like 3 showers! i thought it was me (cuz ya kno my boobs are still leakin and its the same bra since i havent gotten around to do clothes) than i was playin wit her and went to go 'bite' her tummy and i was like EW! IT WAS U! lol
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 5:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2009