What would you do with my two-year-old son? He is waking up now about 4 times a night!

My two-year-old is up at 10:30, 11:30, 1 a.m., 3 a.m., 4:30 a.m., and I am at my wits end. He, of course, can get out of bed, open his door, and wander through the house. Sometimes he very quietly comes into my room and looks up at me with those puppy dog eyes and waves at me with a little smile. Because he has been out of diapers for five months, he always says he needs the potty, and does go once or twice a night. With him wanting to use the potty and bundled up in long johns and a blanket sleeper, he can't do it himself, so I cannot just put a gate across his door and let him CIO. I am so grumpy and impatient now all day from exhaustion and he's only napping 45 minutes a day. I am alone with him 24/7 and I need to get him to sleep better at night. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's a tough one. If it wasn't for the PJ issue, I'd say put a little potty in his room and put up a gate. As it is, he needs your help to go.
    Can you turn up the heat and dress him in just a long sleeve shirt and undies? If not, all I can really suggest is that you make certain he comes TO YOU in the night, and not go see if he can work the DVD player, make himself a piece of toast, or any one of a thousand other things kids can get into in a house at night.

And don't kid yourself. There is no such thing as "baby-proof". Even the packages of the safety products warn you that the safety products are designed to stop a child for the few minutes it might take for you to notice what they are up to and put a stop to it. The products assume you are there and watching. "Baby-proofing" is not meant to keep an unsupervised toddler safe for the 8 hours you are asleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• has he always been doing this or is this recent?? if its recentr there may be a medical cause so give your ped a call.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• have try to sing song to him. my nieces does the same thing to. i have to get up with them play with them and sing to them then they go to sleep
    auntmom448

Answer by auntmom448 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Stop his fluid intake a few hours before bed. When I was little I used to cry everynight at 3 am b/c I had to potty and didn't want to wake up. You may also want to keep him in overnight pull-ups just in case. He shouldn't need to get up so often to pee but it could also be a growth spurt. My son wakes up about every 2 hours or so for the last week when I put him down and he just grew about 2 inches.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 12:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009