39weeks prego and confused?

I went to the doctor today and she said I'm 80% effaced and a -3 what does that mean? she also stripped my membranes does that mean I can go into labor soon?

Happy2bemom969

Asked by Happy2bemom969 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• stripping the membranes does not work for everyone, mine got stripped at 38 weeks and i didnt go until 3 days before my due date so i wouldn't count on that and as for the -3 i am not sure it may be that you arent dilated at all yet but i dunno about that part sorry!
    mamad86

Answer by mamad86 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sorry, it doesn't mean anything you didn't already know (except now you have something to tell people when they ask what the doctor said). You may stil lhave another week or two, or you may get things rolling tonight. Stripping the membranes is meant to help speed things along, but seems to be pretty 50/50 on whether or not it actually works. Hang tight, Mama, just a little bit longer!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i thik the -3 is the station its at
    im only 33 weeks and really dont know much about the stations
    all i know is when u get to 0 and then the + the baby is in the birth canal (sp?)
    and i think it is a +4 and the baby is crowning
    Anonymous

• the -3 means you are at a -3 station its how far the baby is down in the pelvic. stripping of the membranes works but not always. I had mine done with my son and i was in labor with in 12hours of having it done. However like the above post said doesnt always work that way. Good luck and all i can say is take a nice walk lol sometimes that might trigger labor.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• stripping the membranes worked for me my water broke at 5 am the next day so good luck but anyhow you are close but it could be a week to a couple days more
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Stripping your membranes only works if your baby and body are ready. You could still not go for another 2 weeks, which is very normal. -3 is the station, so the baby isn't engaged yet. 80% means that your cervix is starting to soften and getting ready to open... But you can be 100% effaced for weeks. GL
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009