Why is this such a BIG deal?

Ok so I don’t get why people make other feel embarrassed about WIC? EVERYONE TELLS YOU TO USE IT!! When you become pregnant everyone asks, have you gotten on WIC yet?? Even my doctor and midwives expected me to get onto WIC including my child’s pediatrician. SO my questions is why does everyone treat us like shit and act like we don’t need it and shouldn’t be on it and cashiers treat us like shit when we use the checks. (cont'd)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• (cont'd)

When EVERYONE tells us we need to be on WIC!! Someone needs to stop the cycle of hate already, just because you are on WIC doesn’t mean you are poor or white trash, I mean look at the income levels for 3 people its almost $2800 a month, last time I checked that’s not poor so obviously the government feels the need for us who make that much to use it so there shouldn’t be a problem and also GUESS WHAT if your husband or SO or you are making $2700 a month then you are paying into WIC and any other state assistance program and are entitled to use it
    Anonymous

• I honestly think that some people are jealous because they can't or couldn't get it for themselves.
    Anonymous

• I understand your concern. My ped, or anyone else have never offered it to us. Are you on medical assistance through the state or something? My ped. switched my sons formula to the most expensive and told us so, but never said anything about WIC. But, I think you are correct, the cashiers do have a certain "attitude" when they check you out from what I remember 10 years ago. I actually STOPPED getting it because of the BS I was getting, and I was a single mom getting NO child support, so I felt like I needed it.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Why do you honestly care what others think about it? If you need it, take it.. use it, enjoy it. If someone thinks differently they need to know that their entire life can change in the blink of an eye.. Moms who judge because they are SAHM while their husband goes out and work, what if their husbands were killed today in a wreck, guess what they too would be in the same situation.
    Anonymous

• I never qualified. It was irritating. I made too much money, but trust me, we were poor.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• sydsmom2:

My husband is military..maybe thats why everyone keeps offering it to us??
    Anonymous

• i never felt that way when i was on wic with my son. people never seemed to be rude to me when at the store. WIC isnt really for the poor persay cuz you are right there income levels are pretty high. Both my husband and I work currently and we still quilifie i was surpirsed we did this time around actually.
    Anonymous

• Well, I got it when I was pregnant, because I didn't "technically" live with Danny (he wasn't on the lease at my apt), but when we bought our house, I knew I had to report his income, so I just never went back after Leila was born. He makes too much money. I think it sucks that everyone counts what you gross instead of your net . . . we don't get to keep all of that money . . . each check like $400 goes to taxes . . . ridiculous. Don't be ashamed of WIC . . and it's funny if the cashiers look at you strange, because they probably only make like $8-$10 dollars an hour and you know FOR SURE they would be getting WIC too . . sadly, they'd probably go to a different grocery store than the one they work at. I don't judge anyone for being on WIC . . . milk, cheese and cereal are expensive . . I wish we could still get it . . . I miss WIC shopping!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Until I got married I was a single mom with no help. I wasnt on wic but I used a program called CCCAP for child care because I couldnt afford it on my own and I still had to work and I used medicaid. I couldnt afford it but since my DD was #1 in my life she NEEDED it and I wasnt going to deny her from it. Dont worry about what others think. Sometimes you wish you could do it all on your own but you cant and there should be no shame in it. You are doing your BEST to provide for your children and that is ALL that matters.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I feel better about being on it, because they take an assload of taxes out of each of my paychecks. At the end of the month it comes out to a little more than I get in food stamps. I pay for my food through my taxes. And for tons with my taxes from before I needed food stamps and wic. I am not having kids every year to stay on it either. I am going to school so I can get a job that pays enough for me not to be on it. It is the people that abuse the system that make the rest of us look bad.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009